Pot/Slate Call Questions

DirtTime

Slate is a great surface. Easy to run and proven itself to fool turkey.   I think you are leaving a lot on the table if you do not own and learn to use the glass.  It is capable of soft calling and loud excited calling.  It offers different tone than slate.  But most important is with the right striker it will work when it is damp, or even wet.  Aluminum, corian, and carbon strikers will all play on glass when your slate with a wood striker just wont run.   

Crystal would be an alternative also.  Either one.    

Halloran is a talented maker. His Crystal mistress is one of the best calls ever made imo

Have that, his double glass, his slate and may justify his al to replace my drury al one.... not a fan boy or even a great peg/pot caller...prefer mouth calls but when his calls are played right is sounds like a bird is in your hand.... amazing

Bunch oh strikers too- some Halloran...some various

This thread was very informative, everyone gave solid info and great tips on how and why to use certain calls. I hope it keeps going.

I know certain calls are better for soft talk, I have found the amount of pressure I use with the striker can produce 'soft' and 'loud' as I refer to it.

Anyone else use pressure from the striker to get a desired sound?

Of course striker pressure is imortant to sound, kee kee for instance need heavy pressure, tree yelps light w pot held off your body, hand making a sound chamber to make it nasally. Anomdised aluminum can be make to sound like a more mature hen with lighter pressure n yelps are generally best when the striker "floats" in your hand without squeezing it. Different strikers make a big difference too. Check out Harold fowlers website. Tons of strikers that will all sound dif. Two great ones are tulipwood n Snakewood

Of course striker pressure is imortant to sound, kee kee for instance need heavy pressure, tree yelps light w pot held off your body, hand making a sound chamber to make it nasally. Anomdised aluminum can be make to sound like a more mature hen with lighter pressure n yelps are generally best when the striker "floats" in your hand without squeezing it. Different strikers make a big difference too. Check out Harold fowlers website. Tons of strikers that will all sound dif. Two great ones are tulipwood n Snakewood

Pressure is the key for all pot calling, I always hear how you can't make soft calls on a pot, I've made and heard calls so soft on a pot I can barely hear them, strikers and pressure no matter what surface your using. I can run a pot 1 handed with gun up on my knee, and have teased birds the final dew steps that way

• Like 2

I can dial down my slate pretty quiet. My nephew didn't hear me calling and he was 40 feet away. When you need to call quiet , a slate is best IMO. Glass , I have a problem with. When you think you're calling quiet , cut that volume in half. Them birds can hear pretty spectacular. I'd say volume is key in calling.

• Like 1

I have never really used much pressure, just enough to get the right sound. Last fall I was down behind the land owners house before light and made a few calls, then called a few times for about an hour with no replies. I moved to a different spot for a few hours then broke for breakfast around 10am. My buddy saw me come from the direction of our camp and said I was in the wrong spot. His dad heard turkeys behind the house real early. LOL. I told him that was me calling.

Not skipping the striker is a big part of it. I still do it once in a while.

Guys I've said it before n will say it again, calls are a very large part of the actual sound and they can be easy or hard to run. Dare you to screw up a sound on a crystal mistress or SS glass. Ain't happening w minimal maintenance. Lots of other calls the same way n primos isn't making them

• Like 1

That's my thought as well. 5 weeks will be pushing it, but I do have my slate already, so I may order it as it falls in the free shipping over $49 and I plan to order a few other items anyway.

I was on Amazon checking out blinds and decided to look up a few calls. I saved the Primos Jackpot Glass call to my list, and then found the one I linked. Just figured I could save some space with a two-in-one.

Good to know they aren't just a gimmick. Thanks for the feedback Rick, much appreciated. 

No worry. I have not used that particular pot. But I have usd several two sided calls that were all nice. As far as large manufacturers in the turkey pot call category I have had good luck with primos calls and favor those. I don't recall if they have a two sided but it's probably likely.

Just added this to my arsenal. $25. Some great sounds with it. Couldn't see dropping a hundred or more on others. My HS Slate has killed a bunch of birds.

If the call sounds good to you than use it with the best of luck. Until the day comes where you can run it side by side with another call you cant know really what you're getting. SS custom calls for instance sells glass calls for maybe $45-50. Lots of custom call makers are affordable, some are $100 or more too but the vast majority arent.

Remember turkey calls aren't just a piece of the puzzle they can be a big piece. Yes woodsmanship is big too but birds don't usually fly down n follow exact routes every day, hence you need to call em to be consistently successful. Many times one call won't work n the next will. How many times have you had a gobbler in the area go nuts or leave when he heard a real hen call? Hsppens often enough that realism is the best method, and yes they gobble at cars hitting a pot hole but they don't go to it. Just something to think about n good luck with your season

Thanks for the input Bowguy 1.

I agree having more then one call might be a good idea. That's why I asked about that slate/glass double sided call.

I am also one of those hunters that doesn't want/like to carry a lot of gear if I don't have too. So having one call with two surfaces peaked my interest.