Short bolt action

Borngeechee

my Browning Abolt stainless stalker is nice and light enough.  I more like the short throw bolt for deep woods hunting.  follow ups are quicker for a bolt.  helped me a few times.  shoot until they fall.  don't want to hike anymore and at times it's easy to get turned around blood trailing.

• Like 1

Looks like a Ruger to me...But then. my eyesight isn't that good..

My Mom TOLD me I'd go blind if I didn't stop doing that !!

LOL!  Now that you mention it, it does look like a Ruger. The angle of the bolt and what appears to be the way the  receiver is machined, to accept Ruger rings, gives it away.

I don't see the practical application of a short barrel on a bolt gun for woods hunting.  The action is slower on fast follow up shots or shots at running game in the woods.  In .308, with that barrel, it will be very loud and you're losing a lot of velocity using factory loads too.  The laminate stock also adds weight, negating any weight savings you get from the shorter barrel.  It may be handy in the thick woods, but you also loose a lot because it's a bolt gun.

I'd look at a lever gun, or even the Ruger Mini-30 for woods hunting.  Overall length would be the same, but they're better suited for thick woods hunting.

Check out the TIKKA line of rifles. Got a blued composite stocked .308 that is a real tack driver.

My Tikka Lite compact in .308 weighs about 6 1/2 lbs with a little redfield scope on it.  A dime driver with 165's.

But at that light, it does come back with a little more authority than most people expect.  Got "touched" above the eye with it when I had the 12 1/2" pad on it and a full length S&B scope.

What does that ruger weigh?

My Tikka Lite compact in .308 weighs about 6 1/2 lbs with a little redfield scope on it. A dime driver with 165's.

But at that light, it does come back with a little more authority than most people expect. Got "touched" above the eye with it when I had the 12 1/2" pad on it and a full length S&B scope.

What does that ruger weigh?

They say 5.7 unscoped

Geechee born and Geechee bred

If Ruger would smarten up and go back to the old safety and use a shorter throw it would be a dandy woods gun but they are too heavy in my opinion.

I have considered one of these for a rebore in 358 win. and a aftermarket plastic stock but I can't get over their safeties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk