How to weld?

SplitG2

I took an Adult Ed course at BOCES that was good. Had an instructor that concentrated on actually welding. Mention it because a friend took one in another county and they mostly talked about welding but did little. :)  By the time the classes were over I built a folk-lift attachment for my skid steer.(still have it with no failures. LOL)

I ended up with a stick to do farm type stuff myself and a few projects for the shop. Its cheap to use and does structural stuff well(tubing, angles,bar stock, heavy plate). Doesn't do sheetmetal well, not built for it.

Wire machines for the small shop market were just coming on the scene so I can't give a good comparison. I will say stick requires a bit of practice, good prep work to clean surfaces, and some "feel" for amperage and rod choice.

Heres a gate project done with 1/8" wall 2" square tubing frame; I do stuff that mainly supports my wood shop. I'm no pro, I'm sure there must be a few here to chime in;

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

I guess I would check out a local BOCES to see if they had any adult courses . Other than that , I don't know .

http://education-portal.com/welding_training_new_york.html

New York welding schools

New York

Thanks guys!  Dinsdale, that gate is amazing!

Thanks.....

A few things I learned along the way....

I first was getting steel scraps at a junk yard. Most were some funky alloys and welding 2 dissimilar metals of unknown origin is tough when your starting out.

I never cleaned enough and had all kinds of inclusions in my welds that looked like crap and kill the weld strength. A good prep saves time and rod!

I still struggle with verticle and that takes more practice than I give it. :P 

A real welder?

....is a damn good artist.

I'll stick to wood :)

not sure where you are but i know here in rochester mahany,jackson and rochester welding supply all have workshops than range from beginners to full on cerified welders contact a local suply company and see i have been to one run by jackson through work when i was building custom exhaust and was a much better welder in the 3 days

Get it clean,get the amperage right (my down fall) & follow the hot puddle with the rod  in circular motions to get good penatration. Practice, practice,practice! If you blow a hole in your project back off, let it cool then go back & fill it in.  When cutting metal you push the hot puddle . good luck & practice.

check out Lincoln welding,lots of info,went to boces at nite took oxy/acetelyne and stick welding,check out northen tool for welders,I bought

a wire welder 135 amp for about $350.00 came with gauges  and flux cored wire,stick welders are cheaper,I have had a lincoln 225 for 25 years still going strong,not as hard as it seems,start with mild steel and practice,practice

its not to hard split get a mig lots of scrap keep your stuff your welding clean. get a grinder with a wire wheel some sanding disks when your welding with a mig it will beging to sound like grease frying you will be able to see the heat transfer between the two pieces your welding. if you get your stuff and have problems you could give me a call and i can try to help over the phone good luck

• 3 weeks later...