Does anyone have a clue of what this is???

My father just sent me this picture and neither him nor I know what it is. According to him, it is about 3in wide and 6ft long. He says it looks like the tree is "bleeding" orange something or other. I dont know if you can see it or not in this picture but at the top of the stripe, it has 2 small holes that look like something (bug, bird, mammal,??) bored into the tree.

ANY help would be appreciated.....post-999-0-09502200-1462568520_thumb.jpe

It's a ironwood tree leaking sap bacteria turns it orange, I cut down a bunch in late winter and the woods looked like a field of orange hunters as the sap flowed all over the stumps that were up about 1 to 2 ft due to snow depth.. was strange lasted a few weeks in the spring and was gone.

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 3

I agree with G-Man, it does look like an ironwood tree. But I doubt it was the work of a woodpecker. They usually peck dead trees or branches looking for insects. More likely the damage was done by a borer, which is an insect that bores itself into the tree. A bird called a sapsucker could also do that, but they usually make several holes in a line in one area.

It's a ironwood tree leaking sap bacteria turns it orange, I cut down a bunch in late winter and the woods looked like a field of orange hunters as the sap flowed all over the stumps that were up about 1 to 2 ft due to snow depth.. was strange lasted a few weeks in the spring and was gone.

Thats the only tree that grows on my creek banks as the beaver usually pass on them. I have never cut them, but hear they can dull a chain quickly on a saw. Any truth to that?

Thats the only tree that grows on my creek banks as the beaver usually pass on them. I have never cut them, but hear they can dull a chain quickly on a saw. Any truth to that?

They are a hard tree and will throw sparks off a chainsaw, great burning wood for heat. They are a tree of compressed soil,usually found in old pastures. Have a winged seed like an elm also known as hop hornbeam. I've been removing mine for a few years now as no one cuts them at they just compete with my good hardwood time regrowth.
  • Like 1