No idea what I heard

Jmp209

Just curious if anyone has seen any fawns dropped yet. Early this morning one of the dogs started barking like crazy in the house around 4 a.m. I could hear something coming from outside so I opened the front door and could hear what sounded like a drawn out deer snort every 10 seconds or so for several minutes. The sound never seemed to move from the one spot so I was kind of wondering if maybe a doe had given birth and maybe a predator had gotten ahold of the Fawn. Maybe it's something entirely different. Anyone else ever heard something like this in the woods before?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

This would be an early birth but as we know the deer do not always follow the chart.  I have seen them drop around this time but it is a little early.   Guess that is why many bucks start checking the doe in mid to late October.

Did you find anything outside in the area of question?  Make me wonder if doe make much noise when giving birth. 

I have always interpreted snorting as an alarm that is used when a deer is worried but not entirely clear on the nature of the threat. This is an opinion based on experience, not any research or reading.

I believe the same thing. I had a deer blow at me the way Jonmp described last Saturday (and a couple times before). I was trying to turkey hunt, and the deer would not leave, just kept blowing and blowing. Finally after 10 minutes of this, I got up and threw a stick it's way until it took off. It still kept blowing, but wandered off in another direction.

• Like 3

Yes ~ Monday. actually watched one pop out. It's a weird year. Saw goslings almost a month ago with one set of parents. Frogs were in the pond real early and then froze to death.

Edited by Jason118
  • Like 2

that'd mean the doe was bred second weekend in October.  still possible but about 2% of doe are probably bred then.  if it was overly drawn out it might have been a fox bawling from distress of some kind.  they sound little similar but little longer and more drawn out.  females will make that sound around now.  they're trying to attract a mate so they'll stay in the same area for a period of time and then move on.  it's breeding season for them unlike deer. sounds like a breathy hoarse scream.

The scenario I was originally thinking was an already born fawn had been grabbed by a predator and the doe was reacting with noise instead of fleeing and abandoning the fawn. I don't even know that it was a deer, that's just the only similar sound I could relate it to. I've never heard a fox vocalize so I'll try to find some recording online if I can. It's one of the sounds you can hear it in your head exactly how it was and easily pick it out if you heard it but can't describe to save your life.

that'd mean the doe was bred second weekend in October. still possible but about 2% of doe are probably bred then. if it was overly drawn out it might have been a fox bawling from distress of some kind. they sound little similar but little longer and more drawn out. females will make that sound around now. they're trying to attract a mate so they'll stay in the same area for a period of time and then move on. it's breeding season for them unlike deer. sounds like a breathy hoarse scream.

I would have never guessed a fox made such a noise, after listening to several clips of various red fox vocals I really think that may be what I heard though. As hard as it is to admit I was way off in my guess, I did learn something new. Thanks for all your guys input, I think we can put this mystery in the solved pile.

I believe the same thing. I had a deer blow at me the way Jonmp described last Saturday (and a couple times before). I was trying to turkey hunt, and the deer would not leave, just kept blowing and blowing. Finally after 10 minutes of this, I got up and threw a stick it's way until it took off. It still kept blowing, but wandered off in another direction.

Literally had the exact same experience last week while turkey hunting.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk