Deer heart

ATbuckhunter

I had my first deer heart this past fall from my very first harvest.  My friend came up to show me how to butcher the heart with a small, fine knife.  He marinated it with some oil, rosemary and crushed black pepper, and pan-seared it for a few seconds a side.  It was delicious.

While enjoying the tender cuts, and their mineral-ish flavor, he told me that in the Old World, the harvest and hide went to the lord of the manor, but the heart went to the hunter as a thank you, and payment.  That's the story I'm running with...

To the hunter goes the heart.

post-6947-0-33478500-1468859990_thumb.jp

post-6947-0-61802100-1468860000_thumb.jp

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Well just had deer heart for the first time and it was amazing. I'm just as happy eating deer heart as I am eating tenderloin or backstrap! I highly suggest you guys keep the heart next time. All I did was add a little teriyaki,  Worcestershire sauce, and a few various spices like garlic powder. You can believe ill never leave another heart in the field again. 

• Like 2

Well just had deer heart for the first time and it was amazing. I'm just as happy eating deer heart as I am eating tenderloin or backstrap! I highly suggest you guys keep the heart next time. All I did was add a little teriyaki,  Worcestershire sauce, and a few various spices like garlic powder. You can believe ill never leave another heart in the field again. 

Nice! We had one last night... We had hoped to have it the night of harvest, but got caught up with a few beers post-butchering.

We seared it up with crushed garlic and rosemary in olive oil.

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

One of the best parts of the entire deer, I soak it in salted water overnight, then put it in teryaki , and some other spices for a couple of hours.  I froze part of one once, and it was not nearly the same as fresh.  

• Like 2

On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 9:37 PM, ATbuckhunter said:

Any of you guys eat deer heart? Ive never done it before, but after eating the heart of the turkey I got last spring I decided to keep the heart if Im lucky enough to get a deer this season. 

I love heart cow deer goat lamb  love it . So 

Tender and delicious