For those with Land

biggamefish

Thanks g-man, I currently have 3 preference points and didn't want to loose them. I am also in the process of buying land and can get the landowner tag if need be. A good option but I don't know if I need all the tags. I do like to eat though!!  HAHA

The" landowners permits "are simply normal doe tags given out first to owners of over 50 acres I believe . I don't even bother anymore , my area gives out permits like candy .

Now Dmap ones are the way to go, extra permits based upon crop damage and such .

They are two different tags. The land owner tag is for property owners of 50 or more acres. The DMP with the PP's can be used in the same unit as your property or anywhere in the state. In my hunting area, 4-H you need at least three PP's to get a DMP. But I get a landowner permit every year.

Grampy, I'm confused . DMP are only good for the one unit you apply for , not the anywhere in the state. My landowner permits were simply a regular DMP issued first to owners of 50 acres in said unit .

I have looked into this a little more and a buddy showed me that being a land owner you don't get a specail land owner permit. It just puts you at the head of the pack for your dmp selection.

This is from the link that LI outdorsmen provided.

Order of Selection

1. Landowners and Disabled Veterans
  2. NYS Residents and Nonresidents with 3 or more preference points.
  3. Residents with 2 preference points.
  4. Residents with 1 preference points.
  5. Residents with 0 preference points.
  6. Non-Residents with 2 preference points.
  7. Non-Residents with 1 preference points.
  8. Non-Residents with 0 preference points.