Spine tester

For awhile now I've wanted to build a fixture ,kind of an all in one type deal to check spine ,cut to length and check straightness. I really don't have a ton of time to work on it these days but I will add pictures as I go. The next step is to build the weight that hangs from the arrow and make a mount for the dial indicator to attach to.

20160805_192814.jpg

20160805_092330.jpg

• Like 3

Looks good Jeremy!

I used to have an Adams Spine Tester.  Got it at the Little Valley Trappers Convention with a bunch of other neat stuff; sold 95% of it on ebay and made a killing.

I do have an Apple arrow cutoff saw I got off another web site.  Haven't used it yet but might soon as I do need to fletch up another half dozen shafts.  IIRC I have to fabricate a part for it before it'll work accurately.  I better pull it from the rafters and dust it off........................

I've got a cheap plastic spin tester.  works but nothing like a heavier metal one that's not as finicky.  that's awesome you can make stuff like that.  haven't had those kind of resources since college when had access to a machine shop.  I don't test spine. just make sure it spins true and weigh as close to the same as possible.

My next project is to get the chop saw so that it can be mounted to the T track and make the holders for the arrow to spin on while cutting to length. The T track will be the center of the work station and then I'll be able to swap out components depending if I'm checking spine or cutting to length.

20160815_204751_1471308485948.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 6:23 PM, Jeremy K said:

I picked up a cheap indicator to check it out ,I think I'm gonna make a base for it that mounts to the side T slot . This arrow had a .015 though deflection from the spine to the weak side.

20160823_181454.jpg

the difference in deflection? as in different spines if you rotated the arrow shaft to a different position?

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 7:29 PM, Jeremy K said:

My next project is to get the chop saw so that it can be mounted to the T track and make the holders for the arrow to spin on while cutting to length. The T track will be the center of the work station and then I'll be able to swap out components depending if I'm checking spine or cutting to length.

20160815_204751_1471308485948.jpg

only think I don't have is something to check spine and cut arrows.  I've got everything else.  I assume that chop saw is moving fast?  the biggest problem I've seen with homemade jobs is they don't have enough speed to make a clean enough cut.

5 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

only think I don't have is something to check spine and cut arrows.  I've got everything else.  I assume that chop saw is moving fast?  the biggest problem I've seen with homemade jobs is they don't have enough speed to make a clean enough cut.

10,600 RPM . It comes with a steel jewelers type blade which i wouldn't use ,i would use a 2 inch 1/16 abrasive wheel. 

• Like 1