Deer Processor Albany County

DirtTime

On 8/6/2016 at 2:41 PM, ....rob said:

Probably not. Little girl's ( well 114 and 16 year olds, I think ) across from us think hunting is barbaric. Pretty sure there might be a complaint filed. They are um, "screwy".

That usually makes it harder. I've found that butchering takes maybe an hour max to get the big groups separated so the rest could be done in the house. I would do it really fast to lessen the chance of them seeing it, but I understand you not wanting to. Personally me, Id never go to a butcher because I can do it myself. I defiantly do get a few looks down here in NYC when i butcher a deer in the driveway, but that's their problem. Maybe you can quarter the deer up and put them in bags on the land you hunt, so you can do the rest inside the house. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

That usually makes it harder. I've found that butchering takes maybe an hour max to get the big groups separated so the rest could be done in the house. I would do it really fast to lessen the chance of them seeing it, but I understand you not wanting to. Personally me, Id never go to a butcher because I can do it myself. I defiantly do get a few looks down here in NYC when i butcher a deer in the driveway, but that's their problem. Maybe you can quarter the deer up and put them in bags on the land you hunt, so you can do the rest inside the house. 

Not an option either to butcher in the house. I had thought about that. All I can say about that is my g/f had an issue with her x-husband doing that in the house. Ticking off the neighbors isn't something I want to do, but, pi$$ing off the g/f would be far, far worse. LOL

I don't mind using a processor if the price is right and they are reputable. 

20 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Not an option either to butcher in the house. I had thought about that. All I can say about that is my g/f had an issue with her x-husband doing that in the house. Ticking off the neighbors isn't something I want to do, but, pi$$ing off the g/f would be far, far worse. LOL

I don't mind using a processor if the price is right and they are reputable. 

Haha ya you defiantly don't want to do that! If I was close to you, id offer to do it for you, but unfortunately Im a couple hours away from you. 

Chester in Cohoes does it , little $$ but he does a very good job. He just opened a  smokehhouse market on  Watervliet Av in Albany , Adam in Averil Park does it also  ,Bill Leary {the best around } use to do it in Albany but doesn't any more . I used Strattons a few year ago , they did a nice job .

I heard the Altamont Market might be doing it this year but I'm not 100% certain . If you need numbers or address's let me know .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sbuff said:

Chester in Cohoes does it , little $$ but he does a very good job. He just opened a  smokehhouse market on  Watervliet Av in Albany , Adam in Averil Park does it also  ,Bill Leary {the best around } use to do it in Albany but doesn't any more . I used Strattons a few year ago , they did a nice job .

I heard the Altamont Market might be doing it this year but I'm not 100% certain . If you need numbers or address's let me know .

Will let you know. Leaning towards Stratton's, but if I locate something closer it would be nice.

• Like 1

For the capital region I highly recommend Strattons. You're not driving there all the time. Drop off and pick up. In know him personally. Can do snack sticks, hotdogs, bulk or cased sausage.... anything you want just no poultry. We go through a lot of sweet Italian and breakfast deer sausage. If you're ever unhappy say something and he'll make it right.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, sbuff said:

Is that all of them for Albany county.always good to have choices 

There's a few I found in a search. Most want the deer skinned and d-boned. Can't do that where I live. If I could skin and d-bone here it I would just finish the job. I need a place to take the deer with the hide still on to get it processed.

Hell, I just found out this morning I can't even practice with my bow in the park. 

6 minutes ago, ....rob said:

There's a few I found in a search. Most want the deer skinned and d-boned. Can't do that where I live. If I could skin and d-bone here it I would just finish the job. I need a place to take the deer with the hide still on to get it processed.

That's absurd . You're right though. After skinned and deboned mine as well do it yourself.

It's all this legal crap these days. Everything's a frikin' "liability". Can't do this, can't do that. "Sorry, we don't allow people to hunt our property due to the "liability" issues. We don't want neighbors upset."

Too many people are scared of being sued it's sickening and frustrating. But, it is what it is. No point rocking the boat. I will just work around all the BS. That's what hunters do. We adjust to circumstance. 

You'll get whatever's cut, ground, or any bulk sausage you'll get back right away. Products like hotdogs, jerky, snack sticks, etc you have to wait until January to February to get back as he's busy in fall both cutting deer brought in, doing beef, and pigs. Everything vac packed with printed labels except bulk sausage in ground tube sleeves.

I have no issue paying the price Stratton has listed. Even the added for some ground and sausage. I am not planning on killing a deer the size of a dog. So $85 +extra isn't bad for say, 60lbs of meat. I can't buy 60lbs of meat for that. 

85 bucks and a reference from this forum is all I would need personally to take a deer somewhere...85 bucks is a very reasonable rate...I'm assuming it would be extra to get snack sticks and stuff

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

85 bucks and a reference from this forum is all I would need personally to take a deer somewhere...85 bucks is a very reasonable rate...I'm assuming it would be extra to get snack sticks and stuff

Yes. But I can make the sticks and jerky from home. Now worried about that part.

• Like 1

Might be different for jerky or snack sticks. Both awesome. Stuff like bulk sausage, summer sausage, etc have a 10 lb of venison minimum per product. These venison products you'll pay by the pound based whatever you're getting. Like plain smoked hotdogs are cheaper than smokes dogs with cheese.
If you like spicier hotdogs try the "stick dogs with cheese". I'd mix it up. Get different stuff not all your meat in one thing. It's all good.

Might be different for jerky or snack sticks. Both awesome. Stuff like bulk sausage, summer sausage, etc have a 10 lb of venison minimum per product. These venison products you'll pay by the pound based whatever you're getting. Like plain smoked hotdogs are cheaper than smokes dogs with cheese.
If you like spicier hotdogs try the "stick dogs with cheese". I'd mix it up. Get different stuff not all your meat in one thing. It's all good.

That's what I do with my processor...snack stick pepperoni summer sausage jerky ground sausage and if I get a 2nd deer lots of hotdogs but they are pricey

I got a lead on a guy in Clifton park, waiting on a return call.

That whole water issue in hoosick falls kind of makes me nervous.

I can understand that. I don't live there now but grew up there. Immediate family still there. He's far from any known or suspected areas with contamination source. He's had water tested and it came back as zero. No worries there.
Other less fortunate businesses much closer have had systems put in and been retested. It's hitting the mom and pop businesses hard.

my girlfriends father goes to Berkshire view farms in Alcove. cant remember the exact price but I remember that it is quite reasonable. don't have to skin or debone anything, he just brings the gutted deer there and gets back vacuum sealed packs of meat. pretty sure they do sausage and stuff too.

• Like 1