Arrow Rest Question

DirtTime

The new bow came with the Octane Hostage basic rest, I looked at these a few years ago and the reviews were about 50/50. Which is why I went with a Trophy Ridge Whisker Biscuit.

I have been looking at the reviews again for the Hostage, seems the same issues, brushes wear out fast and fletchings hit the plastic. I put an arrow in per usual, and it looks like it will hit, flipped the arrow and it clears.

Anyway, I am thinking of switching the Hostage out with my WB.

How many use these and which do you prefer?

basic hostage rests that aren't the pro model do wear out quick.  whisker biscuit will wear too but doesn't seem like as much back when had both on bows.  all of them work though.  when you say flip the arrow for vane clearance...  I haven't seen one yet aside from the original biscuit with same bristles all the way around that is meant to have the arrow any way other than odd vane up.  hostage especially is odd vane up.  if odd vane is off to one side or other, you'll still get vane contact one of the other vanes.  biscuits now have the stiffer black bristles on the bottom that you don't want a vane to go thru.

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

basic hostage rests that aren't the pro model do wear out quick.  whisker biscuit will wear too but doesn't seem like as much back when had both on bows.  all of them work though.  when you say flip the arrow for vane clearance...  I haven't seen one yet aside from the original biscuit with same bristles all the way around that is meant to have the arrow any way other than odd vane up.  hostage especially is odd vane up.  if odd vane is off to one side or other, you'll still get vane contact one of the other vanes.  biscuits now have the stiffer black bristles on the bottom that you don't want a vane to go thru.

I never had an issue with the WB and arrows not clearing. They make three sizes for larger fletchings, I have the small as the fletching on all my arrows are 2". When I set an arrow in the Hostage with the odd vane out as I usually do, they will hit. When I spin the arrow so the odd vane is up, it clears.

I am asking because I am not sure I want to have all my arrows adjusted for the Hostage, or I may have to change the brushes a lot.

Leaning towards putting the WB on and keeping the Hostage as a back-up. 

Get a ripcord fall away rest....you'll never shoot with a whisker biscuit again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Until the first time it doesn't drop. Been there done that, get a WB and be done with it. There isn't a better more simple rest on the market. If your bow is properly tuned they don't wear hardly at all. I shoot a lot and I get a year out of mine and even then I probably don't need a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until the first time it doesn't drop. Been there done that, get a WB and be done with it. There isn't a better more simple rest on the market. If your bow is properly tuned they don't wear hardly at all. I shoot a lot and I get a year out of mine and even then I probably don't need a new one.

You got me....and until you draw down on a buck on a cold morning and as the arrow draws through the whisker it sounds like nails on a chalk board.
To each their own I guess any piece of mechanical equipment can fail at any given time.

You got me....and until you draw down on a buck on a cold morning and as the arrow draws through the whisker it sounds like nails on a chalk board.
To each their own I guess any piece of mechanical equipment can fail at any given time.

Haven't had that happen yet but I did have my qad not drop. You are absolutely correct about mechanical things failing. That's what I want as few mechanical things as possible on my bow.

I have shot thousands of arrows out of my drop away.  I did have to replace it once this year and I think I had that bow for over 3 years now.  I hunt in rain and all sorts of bad weather, it works great but bad weather it does not like after 3 years or so.  Good thing is it's a lifetime warranty, send it back and now I have a brand new one in addition to the extra one I purchased when I sent this one out.  Regardless of what you choose they will all work if set up properly!  Some last longer than others...

1 hour ago, ....rob said:

I never had an issue with the WB and arrows not clearing. They make three sizes for larger fletchings, I have the small as the fletching on all my arrows are 2". When I set an arrow in the Hostage with the odd vane out as I usually do, they will hit. When I spin the arrow so the odd vane is up, it clears.

I am asking because I am not sure I want to have all my arrows adjusted for the Hostage, or I may have to change the brushes a lot.

Leaning towards putting the WB on and keeping the Hostage as a back-up. 

sounds like a good plan.  yea both are meant to have odd vane up despite biscuit you can get away with more.  biscuit I've found will last longer.  you can just rotate the brushes on the hostage but wearing quicker didn't sit well with me as it'll change your tune a little.  at least a season worth of shooting though to notice any wear so we're not talking about anything you can't deal with.  my wife and cousin both had the diamond edge that the hostage came on.

Popping the WB on. I liked that rest when I used it a few years ago.

I looked at the QAD rests, and a few others. But, a new one isn't in the cards this year. Aside from getting it in to get the length and weight adjusted, set up the peep ( maybe, debating this one ), adding the d-loop and removing the nocking point, I need to get a new quiver. That's all for this year.

I loved shooting fingers! Like you said though, not happening with my Prism. Way to short for that.

• Like 1

Popping the WB on. I liked that rest when I used it a few years ago.

I looked at the QAD rests, and a few others. But, a new one isn't in the cards this year. Aside from getting it in to get the length and weight adjusted, set up the peep ( maybe, debating this one ), adding the d-loop and removing the nocking point, I need to get a new quiver. That's all for this year.

I loved shooting fingers! Like you said though, not happening with my Prism. Way to short for that.

Can't go wrong with whisker rest...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ....rob said:

When I set an arrow in the Hostage with the odd vane out as I usually do, they will hit. When I spin the arrow so the odd vane is up, it clears.

That odd vane/feather is referred to as the "cock" feather/vane.

Hostage rests will take a vane off faster than Hillary can delete an email if you don't have them placed cock vane up. 

WB is far better than a Hostsge IMO. I shot one for as long as I remember until I switched to a drop away this past year. I made the move to a rest with micro adjustment. Well worth the $$$ to me. 

• Like 1