Looking to get into muzzleloading

Hunter9396

I have a CVA optima in stainless steel with camo thumb hole stock. I got a great deal at a local gun shop, picked it up for <250 with Konus scope. I put on a Nikon pro staff. I love the break action, fastest cleaning ML I've ever owned. ML's are fun to play with, trying different loads, bullets etc. Mine shoots best with 100 gr. pyrodex (2 pellets) and 165 gr shockwave bullets. If you get a ML and want to mount a scope I believe I still have the Konus 3-9 x 32 i could sell cheap. send me a PM. Good luck and enjoy!

• Like 1

On Thursday, September 08, 2016 at 0:22 PM, Hunter9396 said:

So I've never had a muzzleloader nor do I know anything about them.. I'm not looking to Spend a lot on one since I'm just starting out but I was looking at cva wolf or traditions buckstalker.. anybody recommend one and also any tips on choosing one. I know nothing about them 

I don't recommend going cheap on anything you are going to use more than once then throw it away.

with good equipment your interest in muzzleloading may become more than, "oh yeah I've got one, it's an extra season for me"....

If I was starting out I would look at something that can stand constant weekly use over a lifetime or two, repairable, common, with a variety of accessories so you can do different things with it. That is the Thompson Center Hawken.

The basic rifle will last a couple lifetimes, you can easily switch between calibers and gauges, percussion to flintlock, iron sights to scope, and its quality that will never go down in value.

One platform that will let you hunt squirrels, rabbits, furbearers, waterfowl, turkeys, crows, pigeons, starlings, grouse, pheasant, bear, deer, moose, woodchucks, woodcock, snipe, rails, .32 cal to .54, .50 for certain, .45 to 12 ga, that's what a Hawken can do, with a push of a wedge.

And its quality.

You can buy a brand new yugo or a used Rolls Royce, I'd buy the used RR....or a new one if I could

• Like 1

I bought a wolf muzzleloader with an average scope from my hunting buddy for 100$ and I love the thing. I feel comfortable up to 150 yds with it,though never shot further than 90 at a deer with it,hit that one in the heart. Hardly kicks at all and I love having to pick your shot. Killed  11 deer with it and missed one,my fault of course. Had to shoot between two trees and grazed one.

Only drawback is it does not clean itself,so I have to.