Looking to get into muzzleloading

Hunter9396

I've had a Winchester Aoex magnum for years. Been toting it all regular gun season thru ml season.  Love it. Optics are key. Bushnell elite 3200 3x9 on it. One shot , one kill. Tipped 3 over last year with it. I've heard good things about the cva wolf. I currently shoot 777 pellets and 250 grain shockwaves . Many a guys will say and I may switch to loose buckhorn powder as you can really dial it in and it burns cleaner. I've killed more deer with the ml than both my slug guns combined. Buy one , you won't regret it in the least. ML's are a glorified rifle throwing heavier loads. 

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

I have cva wolf with konus 3x9 scope on it think was around 200 for package at cabelas...I shot 100 grain of 777 pellets I also shoot 250 grain shockwaves...0 to 200 yards dead deer if I do my part. Dropped one 150ish last year 1 shot she didn't move. I will be carrying mine again all gun season this year too

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I've had a Winchester Aoex magnum for years. Been toting it all regular gun season thru ml season.  Love it. Optics are key. Bushnell elite 3200 3x9 on it. One shot , one kill. Tipped 3 over last year with it. I've heard good things about the cva wolf. I currently shoot 777 pellets and 250 shockwaves . Many a guys will say and I may switch to loose buckhorn powder as you can really dial it in and it burns cleaner. I've killed more deer with the ml than both my slug guns combined. Buy one , you won't regret it in the least. ML's are a glorified rifle throwing heavier loads. 

Thank you, I'm definitely going to get one.. how far out do they usually reach out too?

I have a CVA Wolf with a Simmons scope on top of it.  I use Winchester 209 primers, 777 pellets (2 pellets = 100 grains), and Shockwaves (250 grains).  I shoot under 2 inch groups out to 100 yards all day.  Never shot it past 100 yards but I hear with 100 grains of powder there is a significant bullet drop past 150 yards.  Key to muzzleloaders is keeping it clean.  You must invest in some cleaning supplies.

• Like 1

Any CVA, TC, Knight bought today will work fine for you. I'm not much of a CVA fan but they can shoot very well. I have several TC's {made before the S and W purchase } NEF's , and Whites. You can shoot pellets but loose powder is the way to go. With triple 7 or pryodex a simple windex / water mixture will clean it up just fine , then oil when done.Montana Extreme and Butches is what I use for oil . If you use Blackhorn 209 you can get several, as many as 30 shots without swabbing the barrel after every couple shots as you would need to with T7 or pryodex 

The Remington Ultimate claims to shoot out to 300 yards if I recall ,there have been mixed reviews out there on that ML.

When shooting loose powder you can increase your powder charge in increments of 5 ,with pellets you can't. Pellets are nice and easy and I do use them myself at times .

ML is a great sport, I use my ML all season rather then my rifle ,if you get the Wolf I'm sure you will enjoy it. Just keep in mind the stock CVA plug won't shoot BH209 , you will need to purchase one.

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

I own a traditions ...but the light brake open  ...got it years ago when brake opens first came out and seriously so easy to clean ,load and has shot great for me.... We bought  my FIL a Thompson pro...1200.00 at the time...I still like my 300.00 tradition.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Been thinking about it, too. Walmart has them for $167, the entry wolf one (not that I'd necessarily buy it, though I am sure it's fine enough). It had their stainless steel one on sale after hunting season last year, maybe I should have bought it.

I would buy one without a scope and get decent optics after the fact. I'm totally through on bothering with cheap optics like a lot of package rifles have.

one thing I will say that's bad about starting out with a cheap anything, is that if you get hooked you'll wish you spent a little more and more then likely be looking to upgrade in the very near future....with that being said, I have a Traditions Vortek and love. I doubt you can really go wrong with any of them no matter what you choose, it's probably the optics, bullets and powder that matter more then the rifle itself.

• Like 1

I have a CVA Wolf with a Simmons scope on top of it.  I use Winchester 209 primers, 777 pellets (2 pellets = 100 grains), and Shockwaves (250 grains).  I shoot under 2 inch groups out to 100 yards all day.  Never shot it past 100 yards but I hear with 100 grains of powder there is a significant bullet drop past 150 yards.  Key to muzzleloaders is keeping it clean.  You must invest in some cleaning supplies.

Mines not bad at 200 maybe 6 inches...I just sight 2 in high at 100 puts me 4 low at 2 roughly

• Like 1

I personally like my Wolf more than my traditions....but my traditions is not break action either tho...but I really like my Wolf alot would be hard for me to buy a new one thinking anything could be better

But muzzle-loaders.com won't ship to NYC. Anyone have actual knowledge of this? 

It is treated as any other rifle. All firearms must be registered in NYC...including muzzleloaders. Can't have it shipped to NYC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Elmo said:

It is treated as any other rifle. All firearms must be registered in NYC...including muzzleloaders. Can't have it shipped to NYC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure most inlines have to go through an FFL as well for all of NYS. You have to pass a NICS check to buy one.

No ffl required, it can be shipped right to your door from cabelas, bass or any other on line dealer .unless it's one where the barrel can be changed to a centerfire like an encore.

No 4473 needed for a ML.

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1