2 guns on a hunt

Borngeechee

I'm packing for camp now and have 5 guns packed 22 Ruger revolver with rat shot for mice in camp glock 20 long slide 10mm with a trijicon RMR milled into the slide "side arm/ I get a shot inside of 50yds," 7600 pump 35 whelen carbine, tikka t3 35 whelen carbine, 870 20ga "I love eating grouse and don't have to work too hard to get a couple for lunch."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I'm packing for camp now and have 5 guns packed 22 Ruger revolver with rat shot for mice in camp glock 20 long slide 10mm with a trijicon RMR milled into the slide "side arm/ I get a shot inside of 50yds," 7600 pump 35 whelen carbine, tikka t3 35 whelen carbine, 870 20ga "I love eating grouse and don't have to work too hard to get a couple for lunch."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shot anything with your 10mm? my brother acquired same glock that's his goal this year. Ive watched you tube videos of 10mm big game kills.  very impressive round. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rattler said:

A 2nd long gun to save a days hunt is a good idea.  Many things can go wrong with a firearm that can spoil you day of hunting if you don't have another one along.

BTW, Carrying a handgun for protection against bears when you have a rifle or shotgun already in your hands, seems foolish.  If you can't stop a bear with your rifle or shotgun, that handgun isn't going to do it for you either.

Hey , you just said many things can go wrong with a firearm ( re long guns ) contradicting yourself on not carrying a handgun.  

Just busting on ya 

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Hey , you just said many things can go wrong with a firearm ( re long guns ) contradicting yourself on not carrying a handgun.  

Just busting on ya 

I talked to guys,who have walked the whole  Appalachian Trail who have seen many bears with no weapons at all they all  said the bears take off as soon as they know your there .  One gun is plenty if you take care of it . I think how many hunters have been killed by a black bear .

I have never heard of not even one .

Only hikers .  

While black bear kills are rare there are enough to be aware. Not too long a baby was taken by a bear in the Catskills. Campers were attacked in Tennessee recently. Plus you upped the ante I don't want to be attacked by a bear even if I survive. I believe one of the members on this site was deer hunting recently and was attacked when he walked up a downed tree and the bear was hiding under it. I think it was G-Man. I am not paranoid and don't carry my pistol every time I hunt because I'm not allowed to for crossbow and black powder anyway but I would not argue with those of us who do.

On the original question I always pack a back up long gun on trips. Usually my 870 with both barrels one for big game and one for small if I tag out which rarely happens and when it does I usually rest in camp and tell my story to anyone who will listen lol. BTW I do know a guy who was attacked by a bear while deer hunting in the ADKs. He emptied his rifle and was loading single rounds while the bear with a broken shoulder was crawling at him while he backed up to stay out of reach. Sounds like a great time to have a side arm but also explains why so few dead hunters; we have weapons with us. The one time I took one rifle was my moose hunt and I had equipment trouble lucky my co-permittee loaned me his 7mm-08 to practice with and take my bull otherwise an expensive once in a lifetime hunt would have been ruined due to my negligence. 

9 hours ago, hunter said:

On the original question I always pack a back up long gun on trips. Usually my 870 with both barrels one for big game and one for small if I tag out which rarely happens and when it does I usually rest in camp and tell my story to anyone who will listen lol. BTW I do know a guy who was attacked by a bear while deer hunting in the ADKs. He emptied his rifle and was loading single rounds while the bear with a broken shoulder was crawling at him while he backed up to stay out of reach. Sounds like a great time to have a side arm but also explains why so few dead hunters; we have weapons with us. The one time I took one rifle was my moose hunt and I had equipment trouble lucky my co-permittee loaned me his 7mm-08 to practice with and take my bull otherwise an expensive once in a lifetime hunt would have been ruined due to my negligence. 

I guess you never know 

I usually have a backup rifle or slug gun under my back seat. We push some nasty brush in 8G, and I have come out of drives questioning if I knocked by gun off. No issue, just switch it with the one in the truck until I have time to get to a gun range to check the zero.