Do you know what stand on opening day...

growalot

I have plans for as many as (5) openers in NY this year, but I am skipping the early part of archery due to not having enough time to practice with my compound.  I have a few spots picked out on the ground for different wind directions and will stillhunt between therm up in the Northern zone for opening of ML on October 15.  The area I hunt up there is a large chunk of private land bordering the Adirondack park, most of which is in a zone where antlerless deer will still be legal during early ML. 

We have a little more than one vacuum-sealed deer left over from last season in the freezer now, so If I can get a decent sized one early (buck or doe),  I may head home.  That will provide plenty of meat to get us thru until Southern zone crossbow opens.   If not, I will likely stay up there thru opening of Rifle the following week on October 22, and hit a couple other spots in the adjacent zone, where antlerless is illegal this year during early ML  (again dependent on wind), holding out for a 2-1/2 year or older buck.

I have 5 stands and groundblinds on my folks farm in the Southern zone and the wind will tell me which of them to occupy for opening of crossbow.  I will give our home farm a rest for the last week of crossbow and hit one of another 5 stands and blinds there, again, depending on the weather, for opening of gun season.  I have two DMP's now for the zone that covers these two farms and will probably have two more after NOV 1.   

If I have a regular tag left after all that, I have an invite from a friend with a camp in the Southern Tier for the late ML season.  I scouted a few areas down there while squirrel hunting this Feb, so I should be covered for any wind direction.  If I am able to fill two of as many as seven available tags, our family will be well set on venison until next year's seasons.     

I am really looking forward to the openers this year for many reasons, not the least of which is I would like to give the new "butt out 2" I purchased for $6.99 a try.   Some tenderloins, lightly seared in a frying pan with olive oil, would be good also.    Those never make it to the freezer at our house.

Not sure where I will hunt opening day . Did some work yesterday helping my son cut some wood . Checked my cameras . Just like the past couple years , deer that I had been catching on a cam seem to vacate that area 3 weeks before Archery Season . I got pics of deer by a stand that I have in a Lane Way but they are there around 6 am every morning . No way to get there without spooking them . The Lane Way is also the way to get to the woods and my elevated stand by the pond . Fields on either side have soy beans .