Hunting with fmj

Chef

4 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

The authors and signers of the Hauge Convention must have thought so. They mandated for people. 

The authors and signers of the Hauge Convention expected the deer to be taken to a medical facility and healed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elmo said:

The authors and signers of the Hauge Convention expected the deer to be taken to a medical facility and healed.

You know what I meant. we are sitting here talking about the use of FMJ on Game and the humanity of it and the "rules of war" says we cant use the round we prefer on game for a cleaner kill. I always thought the object of a war was kill the other guy before he kills you. What the hell do I know. lol

You know what I meant. we are sitting here talking about the use of FMJ on Game and the humanity of it and the "rules of war" says we cant use the round we prefer on game for a cleaner kill. I always thought the object of a war was kill the other guy before he kills you. What the hell do I know. lol

The US never agreed to The Hague convention.
We were issued hollow points in 5.56 around 2009 or 10 in Afghanistan it was referred to as a "boat tail." I never could dial down what bullet they started using just that it was 62gn and was a boat tail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Core said:

I heard a rumor that will be legal for 2017-2018 season in NY.

Hmm but the .223 will be  better at 100 yards over the RPG don't you think lol  and I like my deer  crispy  well done as soon as possible this will save me the time of cooking and gutting it I think since the explosion will do both for me I can see this being the new craz tim wells probably be the first to kill a deer at long range with one I'm sure , he is my hero !!! Or maybe he can shoot one of those exploding arrow heads into a deer like Rambo used  . 

We were issued hollow points in 5.56 around 2009 or 10 in Afghanistan it was referred to as a "boat tail." I never could dial down what bullet they started using just that it was 62gn and was a boat tail.

Never signed but agrees to abide by. As convenient of course. Lol
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Like with land some types of land  mines I heard 

Manner of Taking It is illegal to take or hunt wildlife:

• While in or on a motor vehicle (except by special permit—see page 14)

• With the aid of a vehicle’s lights • On or from any public road

• With any firearm equipped with a silencer

• With any firearm which continues to fire as long as the trigger is held back (an automatic firearm)

• With any semi-automatic firearm with a capacity to hold more than 6 rounds, except:

1. Firearms using .22 or .17 caliber rimfire ammunition, or

2. Firearms altered to reduce their capacity to no more than 6 shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined, or

3. Autoloading pistols with a barrel length of less than eight inches

37 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

Manner of Taking It is illegal to take or hunt wildlife:

• While in or on a motor vehicle (except by special permit—see page 14)

• With the aid of a vehicle’s lights • On or from any public road

• With any firearm equipped with a silencer

• With any firearm which continues to fire as long as the trigger is held back (an automatic firearm)

• With any semi-automatic firearm with a capacity to hold more than 6 rounds, except:

1. Firearms using .22 or .17 caliber rimfire ammunition, or

2. Firearms altered to reduce their capacity to no more than 6 shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined, or

3. Autoloading pistols with a barrel length of less than eight inches

But what about RPG lol  

So the deer lays there with two broken shoulders until you walk up to it and properly dispatch it?  Doesn't sound that humane.

No if you shoot through the front shoulder you will most likely still hit heart lungs and all sorts of veins... The deer will die just as quickly as with a double lung bow shot, it just won't run away. Also
If it did drop in its tracks I could always take a well placed follow up shot to finish it off.... I really started this thread just to see what people think. I'm sure there are better alternatives out there.

21 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I really started this thread just to see what people think. I'm sure there are better alternatives out there.

I'd say I'm more "adventuresome" than many on these forums as there aren't too many shots I won't take with a rifle shot selection wise.

But hunting medium sized game with non expanding rounds ain't my cup of tea and I wouldn't do it.

Standard stuff to chase really big and really small game with what are often referred as "solids" in bigger bores( 375HH and up) for other places, and I have done so with good success. Idea on the sub 40lb class game is to drill a hole and not destroy the hide with a large exit wound on soft skinned game. On follow up on large heavy game they are used to get rounds in from any angle to shatter bones and provide deep penetration(Cape Buffalo, Elephant, etc).Allows for one gun hunting where a variety of game maybe encountered and the bullet can be used to change terminal ballistics. 

31 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

No if you shoot through the front shoulder you will most likely still hit heart lungs and all sorts of veins... The deer will die just as quickly as with a double lung bow shot, it just won't run away. Also
If it did drop in its tracks I could always take a well placed follow up shot to finish it off.... I really started this thread just to see what people think. I'm sure there are better alternatives out there.

I think it's a bad idea.....most likely isn't good enough, nor is hopefully getting in a follow up shot. It kinda sounds like you're going out with something you already know isn't a great choice.

I think it's a bad idea.....most likely isn't good enough, nor is hopefully getting in a follow up shot. It kinda sounds like you're going out with something you already know isn't a great choice.

Yea im leaning againts doing it, I'll try and find the Hornady A max

19 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Now I know this is not ideal but it is legal so I'm going to bring it up. As I have mentioned before I bought a m1 Garand this year, and think it would be a blast to take it out and shoot a deer. Here is my one concern. I can't find soft pointed ammo for it. Everything I read says don't put modern ammo through the gun it will break the op rod. Of course they don't make mil spec soft pointed ammo. Being that I don't reload I was thinking about using a fmj and putting it through the front shoulder. Being that this gun is a 30-06 it should have more then enough knockdown power even with the fmj. What are everyone's thoughts..... I would also like to use my m1 carbine, that I do have soft points for

I'm sure a well place shot will do the job but there are better bullets available specifically designed for big game that companys  spent many years developing so why not use  them it's like asking if you can nail wood with a rock instead of a hammer yea you can but hammers work better . 

I fired about 100 rounds of Rem corelocts through my Garand and it suffered a bent op rod... I bought it used ( of course) and I have NO idea how many factory loads the previous owner fired through it before I got it...The op rod may have previously been bent and straightened , after which they tend to eventually bend again..  The issue is that many factory loads use slower burning powders with a longer pressure curve than the medium burning powders that the M1 was designed for....

I now reload for mine, using a load that duplicates the original load the M1 was designed for.

The 5 shot en bloc clips are fine.  If an overzealous fish cop gives you a hard time about them, tell him to kiss your ass. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to have any standard 8 round clips in your pocket, however...<<grin>>....

Sounds to me like your best bet is to find a gunshop that will order the Amax stuff for you.

• Like 1

I fired about 100 rounds of Rem corelocts through my Garand and it suffered a bent op rod... I bought it used ( of course) and I have NO idea how many factory loads the previous owner fired through it before I got it...The op rod may have previously been bent and straightened , after which they tend to eventually bend again..  The issue is that many factory loads use slower burning powders with a longer pressure curve than the medium burning powders that the M1 was designed for....

I now reload for mine, using a load that duplicates the original load the M1 was designed for.

The 5 shot en bloc clips are fine.  If an overzealous fish cop gives you a hard time about them, tell him to kiss your ass. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to have any standard 8 round clips in your pocket, however...>....

Sounds to me like your best bet is to find a gunshop that will order the Amax stuff for you.

Or I could pay you to load some for me

I would love to help you out,  but as I have said before,  I  don't load for other people for liability reasons.

It would be ESPECIALLY bad if I charged  for it... I am sure you are a fine and honorable guy, but if by some freak chance  one of my reloads  went KABOOM in your face, there would be be a line of blood sucking ambulance chasers beating down your door..

The leeches advertise on TV all the time....There should be an open season on THEM !!

• Like 3