Two newbie questions

OldNewbie

Question 1:  When going after a doe for the meat, how do you decide which deer to try for?  I have been seeing groups of 1 adult/mama with 2 trailing youngun's coming round. I think I read that if you shoot the adult the young will leave. And that the younger deer are better eating. So is it better to try to get one of the followers vs. the lead doe? I don't care too much about the quantity of meat, not feeding a large family. But is there enough on  a younger deer to make it worth the gutting/dragging/processing?

Question 2: Frost is predicted for tomorrow AM. Do deer change their habits in any way when there is frost?

Thanks fellas..

The younger the deer the better tasting . Now a fawn will not yeild a lot of meat, but to,me it's by far the best tasting. Although I try not to,take them on purpose anymore as I don't want to kill a button buck . If you'er looking to FILL the freezer shoot a big doe, if you'er looking for the sweetest meat drop a couple small ones.

Some won't take the Mom this early either ......

a 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 year old doe should taste just fine .

As for cost of processing the small ones , mine gives me a break ( although most don't, but I bring him a lot of  deer and customers ).  Honestly between all the   money we spend on hunting processing is a drop in the bucket .

ie guys buys a camp and 7k atv but thinks $80 to process fawn is a lot of money LOL !!!!

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

I tend to pick the biggest of the group. I myself don't care as much for a fawns meat....too veal like. I have never found a change as far as toughness in the age, Care for the meat properly, shoot It properly, and it is fine.

Agreed, and don't fall for the 'old dry doe' myth...

Everyone has their own preference when it comes to harvesting a doe. Some like quantity and shoot large does, some like quality and shoot young does, some will not hesitate and harvest a fawn for their freezer (they do taste good!).

To me, the best doe to shoot, is the first one that gives me the opportunity, regardless of size. However, I do try to avoid shooting fawns to prevent the harvest of a buck fawn. 

Good luck and be safe

• Like 1

I never ate a doe I didn't like.

To me, meat from a fawn tends to be bland ( like veal)...

Adult does yield considerably more meat than fawns, and I have never had an issue with does being tough.

I prefer not to kill the older, matriarch does  because I believe they are important leaders of the deer herd in any given area.

SOOO, given a choice, I generally try to shoot a medium size doe... 1.5 to 2.5 year old does are just fine with me...

Edited by Pygmy

I try to take a good sized doe. Fawns taste great but the 20 pounds of meat is poor resource management in my area. You double that take at least on a 1.5 yo. There are very few dry does around most does you see alone have a fawn or fawns somewhere.

I also avoid the matriarch doe cause that can really effect future deer movement in an area. And I have one doe I avoid because she has had 3 fawns multiple years and I like that! I have not seen her this year though.

On the frost question. The first good snap in cold weather I tend to see more activity and the first snowfall as well. The deer still need to eat, drink, sleep and mate as usual. Movement is more reliant on food than anything except for bucks in the rut. Weather effects on how much they move, when and for how long as does hunting pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Sunday, October 09, 2016 at 8:48 PM, OldNewbie said:

Question 1:  When going after a doe for the meat, how do you decide which deer to try for?  I have been seeing groups of 1 adult/mama with 2 trailing youngun's coming round. I think I read that if you shoot the adult the young will leave. And that the younger deer are better eating. So is it better to try to get one of the followers vs. the lead doe? I don't care too much about the quantity of meat, not feeding a large family. But is there enough on  a younger deer to make it worth the gutting/dragging/processing?

Question 2: Frost is predicted for tomorrow AM. Do deer change their habits in any way when there is frost?

Thanks fellas..

This is not pc but the younger ones  will be the best eating just don't shoot the baby's fawns with spots still .

Edited by LJC