Puffballs

Cabin Fever

They taste like mushrooms! 

I slice them as thick as bread and fry in butter over low to medium heat.  When you slice through it, it should be white all the way through.  Also try to cook it the day you pick or next day, not later.

Bon Appetit!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Otto said:

They taste like mushrooms! 

I slice them as thick as bread and fry in butter over low to medium heat.  When you slice through it, it should be white all the way through.  Also try to cook it the day you pick or next day, not later.

Bon Appetit!

They are awesome! Fry them up the way Otto mentioned. Where's Paula? I bet she would have some ways to cook them.

Had almost half of it for lunch! LOL. I dredged it in egg, coated it with Italian breadcrumbs and some parmesan cheese, and fried in butter. Delicious!!!

I'll polish the rest off tomorrow. Didn't want to eat too much, incase I found out I was allergic to it or something. (Allergic to morels) So far, so good!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just guessing here, couldn't you blanch them like most veggies and then can or freeze them in some kind of liquid (clear broth, tons of butter..)? Sure they can be dried & rehydrated for use, esp in soups.

Should have told the wife you guys were going to be rich & famous, you'd found a bigfoot egg.

Mushrooms have high water content so they freeze up nicely. Just have your stockpot/frying pan warmed up before you even take the mushrooms out of the freezer otherwise they can start to wilt and turn brown rather quickly.
Another option would be to marinate them in olive oil, vinegar, garlic cloves & spices. Woodsmans tofu!

• Like 1

Came across an interesting site while looking for ways to preserve and recipes. http://www.kitchenfrau.com/puffball-recipes/  There was a recipe for using a slice of puffball as a low carb / gluten free pizza crust! Figured WTH and tried it! I like mushrooms on my pizza anyways! It was a great alternative! It was suggested to precook the puffball slice to get some of the water out, then add pizza toppings, and put into the oven. Delicious! I'm gonna go out and try to find 1-2 more to slice and put in the freezer, just for using as pizza crust!

1017161138_zpshqrwonze.jpg

1017161216_zpslkbislzm.jpg

I also read it was good alternative for French toast. Thought that was weird.... but, of course I had to try it! LOL I poured some maple syrup on it and it did have the same texture and flavor as French toast! Would definitely pass in my book! 

• Like 1

Tonights treat. Shaggy Manes. Still got 8-10 in the lawn that I'm letting get big enough for harvest.
Also found some Inky Caps(single one in pic). They are edible, BUT they contain Coprine which has the same effects as Antabuse so since I had a couple beers tonight I threw it back in the yard. It is said that consuming alcohol even 3-4 days after eating inky caps can lead to some pretty good gastro intestinal upset.
1da8a28e2109f008eb793b5463f1f900.jpg

• Like 1

Never tried those. Same general flavor and texture of other shrooms?

I just saw a few of them yesterday while checking cams. Honestly, I wasn't 100% sure what kind they were, but thought they looked liked the pics that you posted earlier.

Anyone still seeing puffballs that aren't over the hill yet? I searched yesterday in the area that I found the last one, but never found another.

Yes these have a great flavor. I highly recommend them. They are pretty foolproof once you ID the first batch.
I just seen a cluster of probably 8-10 soccer ball sized puffballs yesterday on I90 near Montezuma. They were still bright white and right in the center median