AR-15

SuperMag

Has anyone here built an AR or have one? I'm going to start building one in the next couple weeks and want to know if anyone has any tips or pointers while doing so. I currently have a complete bushmaster A2 upper and a stripped lower. This is not a thread about what is legal or illegal in NY, as I already know the regulations and am building it 100% legal. Thanks guys!

35 minutes ago, Core said:

Thordsen stock is pretty sweet. I think you should go that routed instead of bothering with a fixed mag, if you were debating it.

I don't care for the looks of the thordsen or any of the ny compliant ones for that matter so I am going with a fixed mag. 

• Like 1

First time I saw one I thought it looked like crap, but you get used to the look. I just find fixed mag an interminable pain on the AR. it's doable, but very, very quickly tiring and bothersome You could also go with a spur grip, which is cheap but it looks like the gun is incomplete. I actually think they feel really nice, though I know some don't find that.

Edited by Core

4 minutes ago, Core said:

First time I saw one I thought it looked like crap, but you get used to the look. I just find fixed mag an interminable pain on the AR. it's doable, but very, very quickly tiring and bothersome You could also go with a spur grip, which is cheap but it looks like the gun is incomplete.

Maybe I will check out the thordsen I don't know. I handled an ar with a spur grip last night and didn't like that very much. It does look like something's missing and didn't feel great either. 

• Like 1

I've built them. The Thorsden stock does seem awkward

I have not used an Ares, and have heard the early ones did not have a great trigger, but they do have a traditional stock, supposedly the new ones are better and they take regular AR uppers

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/719002890/Firearms/Rifles/Other+Rifles/ARES+SCR+LOWER+RCVR+ASSY+SS+BLK

• 2 weeks later...

I decided on going with a fixed mag. I'm currently waiting on my lower parts kit and I'll be all set.

The regulations on this is a little sketchy which I think is ridiculous but that's a discussion for another time. Everything that I'm doing to this gun is legal to my knowledge. Hopefully I'll have updates later this week when my parts come in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, SuperMag said:

I decided on going with a fixed mag. I'm currently waiting on my lower parts kit and I'll be all set.

The regulations on this is a little sketchy which I think is ridiculous but that's a discussion for another time. Everything that I'm doing to this gun is legal to my knowledge. Hopefully I'll have updates later this week when my parts come in!

Wait until you try to load or unload a mag via the upper. It's a PITA! You won't be a happy camper. Good luck with the build. Thank Cuomo and the Clintons for your pain. 

Wait until you try to load or unload a mag via the upper. It's a PITA! You won't be a happy camper. Good luck with the build. Thank Cuomo and the Clintons for your pain. 

You'd be better off getting one of those POF ReVolt guns. If Hildorbeast gets in that's what I'll likely be buying

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

You'd be better off getting one of those POF ReVolt guns. If Hildorbeast gets in that's what I'll likely be buying

Better off waiting over all. We all know what Bill did with what the stupid though were "assault rifles", his wife is no different, actually, she is far worse. No sense spending money on something that has a solid 60% change of being taken away.

Thank you. I bought special take down pins that are supposed to make it a breeze to open so we will see. Definitely won't be as easy as changing a magazine out would be, that's for sure.

Better off waiting over all. We all know what Bill did with what the stupid though were "assault rifles", his wife is no different, actually, she is far worse. No sense spending money on something that has a solid 60% change of being taken away.

The only reason I'm building one is because I got a hell of a deal on a complete upper and stripped lower through Remington.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2016 at 10:47 PM, ....rob said:

Should be good to go now :)

Actually I think they never would have taken these away anyway, just grandfathered them.

some at the club had a kit that made the magazine fixed unless you opened up the upper at which is can be released.  seemed slick and legitimately legal but I don't know if any entity has actually weighed in on it that matters.

That would likely be the AR-Maglok