Any diesel guys or generally motor inclined guys?

BigVal

I see plenty of Chevys, Fords and Toyotas that get eaten up by the salt just the same as Dodges do up here. They have a completely different transmission in them than they used to back in the 90s and early 2000s. I dont know of any major issues with the newer ones, which are based off of the old Torqueflight transmissions of the 60s and 70s.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I see plenty of Chevys, Fords and Toyotas that get eaten up by the salt just the same as Dodges do up here. They have a completely different transmission in them than they used to back in the 90s and early 2000s. I dont know of any major issues with the newer ones, which are based off of the old Torqueflight transmissions of the 60s 

You could almost watch my old 2000 silverado rust before your eyes ,that truck had the worst rust problem I've ever seen ,the drive train was rock solid with 200k ,unfortunately it's of no use if the frame holding it had rot holes through it. Stupid trucks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Love me some ford diesels! I have a 2010 6.4l deleted, 4 in flo pro straight from the turbo back, with spartan tuner. Took it to lancaster last year with stock tires. Best time outta 2 runs was a 8.5. That's spinning all 4 tires for the first 100'. A guy my dad ran into at a car show was running a tuned challenger r/t behind us and was complaining to my dad that these big a$$ trucks beat his time by a tenth of a second. Diesels can be crazy fast when setup right. Good luck getting that cummins running right val.

Thanks zeek I am interestedly in those motors I've run into a couple pretty fast ones on the road lol 

I agree with the rust problems too my old 97 dodge was a rust bucket lol my new one now is from the south and right now Ian rust free.. a rare 2nd gen rust free cummins 

an update: I pulled the belt again and saw it Is possibly a bad ac compressor. I ran a no ac belt and seems fine 

Edited by BigVal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

I absolutely hate dodge trucks (rot boxes and their auto trainy suck)but that Cummins is a bad mo fo , they have to do very little every couple years to keep up with the latest and greatest the other companies put out.

I have had 3 dodge trucks, 2 retired with over 300k and the one Im in now I have 280k, not 1 single transmission problem with any of them and I also tow a lot.  The one Chevy I had in between Dodge 1 and 2 had to have transmission rebuilt by 60k, also had to have a new rear differential rebuild by 100k, by 120k I was on my third set of upper, lower balljoints and 2 sets of wheel bearings. Now the Chevy didnt rust like the Dodges but I will take rust over a money pit incompetent piece of junk any day.   

• Like 2

My 03 Silverado has 97k on it and the cancer is spreading pretty bad throughout the rockers and above the wheel wells. The local Macquire dealer swears by one of those things that hook to your battery supposedly if you have it from when the vehicle is new then it covers any rust. I think it is has something to do with the electric current running into the body.

30 minutes ago, BigVal said:

I agree with the rust problems too my old 97 dodge was a rust bucket lol my new one now is from the south and right now Ian rust free.. a rare 2nd gen rust free cummins 

I have a bit of rust starting on my 10 from where the original owner had some aftermarket chrome fender accents on it. He cut through the paint with the clips, now i have rust spots. I wish a deer would run out and take out the front fenders so I can get them replaced lol. $500 for both would be a steal!

• Like 2

Check idler pulleys for angled wear / grab water pump pulley and see if there is movement bearings could be worn but not leaking as others have said check for loose bolt on accessories and you did say you changed the tensioner pully right  

45 minutes ago, wdswtr said:

I have had 3 dodge trucks, 2 retired with over 300k and the one Im in now I have 280k, not 1 single transmission problem with any of them and I also tow a lot.  The one Chevy I had in between Dodge 1 and 2 had to have transmission rebuilt by 60k, also had to have a new rear differential rebuild by 100k, by 120k I was on my third set of upper, lower balljoints and 2 sets of wheel bearings. Now the Chevy didnt rust like the Dodges but I will take rust over a money pit incompetent piece of junk any day.   

The 46 and 48s they put behind the Cummins were way to weak for that engine,it's no secret.