Shotgun Barrel Question

17 hours ago, ants said:

With an IC choke, you should be fine out to maybe 50 yards. I assume your barrel just has a bead sight?? you'll notice that the farther out your target gets, the more of the target that bead sight takes up and the harder it is to draw i finer bead on farther targets...

I will be staying under 65yds. Yes, just a front bead. I wouldn't even be using the 12ga if one area wasn't no rifle, don't want to loose out on land just because I can't use my deer rifles. So, it's back to old school for a few hunts. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ....rob said:

I will be staying under 65yds. Yes, just a front bead. I wouldn't even be using the 12ga if one area wasn't no rifle, don't want to loose out on land just because I can't use my deer rifles. So, it's back to old school for a few hunts. 

Nothing wrong with old school.  Old school was just a couple years ago in 4H. Never had a problem killing deer with a shotgun.

• Like 2

Old school works.  Over 2/3 of the state where my dad lives is too flat for rifle, so deer hunting is only archery/muzzle-loader/shotgun.  So it is only old-school or a slug barrelled shotgun.

My dad and his friend the land-owner have dropped 5 this year so far. Four were in 1 day.  Some of it has already gone to the local soup kitchen. The head cook from the soup kitchen even helped with the butchering (it is a small town, the high school by me has almost more students in it than the whole town population where I grew up).

I just did the math and holy-crap, I have been using rifled slugs for a little over 30 years - where did the time go.

• Like 1

You don't have a muzzleloader? A smooth bore with a bead has killed a lot of deer but if muzzleloader's were what they are now I don't think hardly anyone would have used one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You don't have a muzzleloader? A smooth bore with a bead has killed a lot of deer but if muzzleloader's were what they are now I don't think hardly anyone would have used one.

No MZ. Nothing wrong with them, just not for me. I have my bow for the early and late seasons.

Guy at work just informed me that he found a rifled barrel for his shotgun, but it did not have a bead so he had to buy a scope.  No worries though, the store bore sighted it for him.  I suggested he should bring it to the range before hunting.  "Who has the time, it will be fine.  Deer have been killed with only a bead for years."  OK

Good news, he rarely sees deer and the one he saw last year, he missed completely.

• Like 3

Guy at work just informed me that he found a rifled barrel for his shotgun, but it did not have a bead so he had to buy a scope.  No worries though, the store bore sighted it for him.  I suggested he should bring it to the range before hunting.  "Who has the time, it will be fine.  Deer have been killed with only a bead for years."  OK
Good news, he rarely sees deer and the one he saw last year, he missed completely.

Let's hope he doesn't get lucky and see one for the deers sake.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Did he look like this guy?  :hunter:

7 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Did he look like this guy?  :hunter:

My guess is that he sleeps through most of his hunts, but who knows.  I feel bad for the deer (but maybe its for their good) as he was dead serious that he didn't need to sight it in.  If I was a deer I would prefer to take my chances with a gun not sighted vs. certain death.   In any event,  I didn't feel like arguing with him so off goes Elmer Fudd.

• Like 2

My guess is that he sleeps through most of his hunts, but who knows.  I feel bad for the deer (but maybe its for their good) as he was dead serious that he didn't need to sight it in.  If I was a deer I would prefer to take my chances with a gun not sighted vs. certain death.   In any event,  I didn't feel like arguing with him so off goes Elmer Fudd.

It's sad when people are to ignorant to even attempt to help them.

I have always liked knowing where my guns hit. Even with fixed sights like a bead. It was also instilled in me to do so. With a fixed sight you need to know if you are shooting a inch left or right and how high or low at intended distances. You cannot just hit the woods and think it will hit where you aim.

Also, after re-reading your post moog:

The guys even more of a moron then I first thought. He bought a scope and says deer have been killed with a bead for years. Yeah, where does this guy hunt again? I have no plans to ever go back to WNY, but, I never say never, and do not want to be anywhere near this fool.

12 minutes ago, ....rob said:

I have always liked knowing where my guns hit. Even with fixed sights like a bead. It was also instilled in me to do so. With a fixed sight you need to know if you are shooting a inch left or right and how high or low at intended distances. You cannot just hit the woods and think it will hit where you aim.

Also, after re-reading your post moog:

The guys even more of a moron then I first thought. He bought a scope and says deer have been killed with a bead for years. Yeah, where does this guy hunt again? I have no plans to ever go back to WNY, but, I never say never, and do not want to be anywhere near this fool.

I think 8F somewhere.