Shotgun Barrel Question

Anyone on here shooting rifled slugs through smooth bore field barrels anymore?

Asking as they do not make a slug barrel for my shotgun ( never planned on deer hunting with a shotgun again. bought it as a small game/turkey gun, but, one area I am hunting is shotgun only ), so all I have is the 28" FB with an IC choke. I know this set up is time proven, just curious how many others still hunt with a basic barrel and slugs.

15 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Anyone on here shooting rifled slugs through smooth bore field barrels anymore?

Asking as they do not make a slug barrel for my shotgun ( never planned on deer hunting with a shotgun again. bought it as a small game/turkey gun, but, one area I am hunting is shotgun only ), so all I have is the 28" FB with an IC choke. I know this set up is time proven, just curious how many others still hunt with a basic barrel and slugs.

I shoot rem  3 inch mag sluggers  with the improved cylinder choke   out to  75 they are dead on  . 

12 minutes ago, 10point said:

I shoot rem  3 inch mag sluggers  with the improved cylinder choke   out to  75 they are dead on  . 

Nice. I am just using basic Win 2-3/4" Super X Hollows. They are OK out to 60yds (tested), 4" group. But, with nothing more then a fiber optic bead, I can't expect much better.

Edited by ....rob

11 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Nice. I am just using basic Win 2-3/4" Super X Hollows. They are OK out to 60yds (tested), 4" group. But, with nothing more then a fiber optic bead, I can't expect much better.

I have clamp on  iron sites on mine i got them about 15 years ago . They  go on the rib works  pretty good . A Different company still makes them i think .

Edited by 10point

28 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

try Fredral Tru balls. Tack drivers for some. 

Thanks for the tip Jay. Might try them out of I get another chance to do any target shooting. I am all for anything that improves accuracy.

24 minutes ago, 10point said:

I have clamp on  iron sites on mine i got them about 15 years ago . They  go on the rib works  pretty good . A Different company still makes them i think .

I will have to look these up as well. Thanks for this tip as well.

Edited by ....rob
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Thanks for the tip Jay. Might try them out of I get another chance to do any target shooting. I al all for anything that improves accuracy.

I will have to look these up as well. Thanks for this tip as well.

The difference is the new ones they sell now  are fiber optic mine is  not .

TRUGLO  makes them  . 

19 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Those are replacements for a barrel with dovetails.

Try this for ribbed guns;

https://www.truglo.com/firearms-turkey/pro-series-magnum-gobble-dot.asp?catid=F41C40D155E44609874F4225CB2A7EC2

• Like 1

I use Remmington Slugggers, of course that is all I usually find in stock for an old 16 ga. with bead sights.
When the deer is in range, they get the job done.

They are cheaper than the sabots my son and my dad use in their slug guns.  And a lot cheaper than the Savage .300 rounds.

Other upsides to the smooth-bore shotguns:

• change out rounds for the pesky squirrels or if pheasants are in the cornfield you are still-hunting in
  • less distance to worry about if miss your backstop
  • fewer other hunters in range (especially for opener in my area)
  • more heavy lead to drop a bear(although it will be closer to you when/if you pull the trigger)
  • more areas to hunt (some public land does not allow rifles)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Uptown Redneck said:

I will be trying out my new shotgun with rifled slugs this season

Yeah, thanks for chiming in. Your "tactical" shotgun doesn't fit this thread. I was referring to those of us using actual smooth bore field barrels.

Edited by ....rob

With an IC choke, you should be fine out to maybe 50 yards. I assume your barrel just has a bead sight?? you'll notice that the farther out your target gets, the more of the target that bead sight takes up and the harder it is to draw i finer bead on farther targets...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ants said:

With an IC choke, you should be fine out to maybe 50 yards. I assume your barrel just has a bead sight?? you'll notice that the farther out your target gets, the more of the target that bead sight takes up and the harder it is to draw i finer bead on farther 

Thats true but it depends on the shooter some guys with really good eye site and practice get really good with just the beed and can push that out much more then that . If you have  rib on your shotgun a simple Improvement is  getting the clamp on iron sites they work  really well much easier to shoot then just a beed , it  makes a big difference if you want to shoot Past 50 yards . 

Edited by 10point