Camp Traditions

DeerStalker22

I grew up hunting in a private camp in South Colton. 40 acres surrounded by public access nimo land.  I dont have any one fav time, but the comraderie and good times were abubdant.  We lost the lease due to it being done illegally on the other persons part, but the memories still live on.

The traditions i look forward to is going up state for opening week of gun season and sharing all the comraderie that goes on every year. between shooting the guns the day before opening just to double check everything, our buddies annual chillie he does every year, butchering up our deer in the big shed with beers while listening to some tunes. There just so much we do each and every year and i love sharing it with all the guys. i love when we all first pull in the same day and bust out the chillie lol

Yah that is one thing I love about deer camp is the favorite dinner dish, at ours its always a big pot of spaghetti with homemade sauce and meatballs.  The cleaning the deer is another good part to.  Getting all back together to talk about the stories and celebrate a good days work.  But for me, being a younger hunter, my favorite part of camp is sitting through my father's and both my grandfathers stories when we are all into camp, as well as all the other peoples.  After a good days hunt, no matter what the outcome was, I know that when I walk into camp, i get to here a good story no matter what. 

I know that there are more people on this forum that have some sort of tradition whether it be a camp tradition, or just a tradition for the beginging of deer season, I want to here them so please respond to this, after all, what is hunting without people/family that have the same passion as you that you can relate with.  so please tell me your stories.  I love hearing about hunting stories, whether it be from new hunter, or older hunter, I believe this is a great topic for this website to state how we all got to were we are, the pation for the outdoors that I feel that everyone on this fororm feels, so please tell me how you all got started. 

I know that there are more people on this forum that have some sort of tradition whether it be a camp tradition, or just a tradition for the beginging of deer season, I want to here them so please respond to this, after all, what is hunting without people/family that have the same passion as you that you can relate with.  so please tell me your stories.  I love hearing about hunting stories, whether it be from new hunter, or older hunter, I believe this is a great topic for this website to state how we all got to were we are, the pation for the outdoors that I feel that everyone on this fororm feels, so please tell me how you all got started.

http://huntingny.com/forums/index.php/topic,2361.msg27778.html#msg27778

Until 5 years ago I never had a true deer camp. I grew up hunting with my father, uncles and cousins, along with a few guy that were my uncles' friends. They hunted out of an old logging camp un in the Forestpot area. I have heard all the stories. so many times I feel like I was there. ;)

We are trying to do this with our new camp as well. me, my father. my uncle and cousing and some close friends of mine. My father and I hold the lease but we have started some of our own tradidtions up there. It was something my Father has always wanted to have and now we do.

We have some fun/work weekends during off season. Then Dad and I throw a big summer party for all the guys who helped. That party is something everyone looks forward to. Venison hind quartes on a spit. tenderloins on the smoker, chicken halves on teh grill and roasted corn on the cob (shhhhh----and a half of beer) Stories...card games. bustin chops.

We also have been taking the entire opening week off and hunting out of camp. I have more and better deer right at my house but the camp is where it is at. fire in the stove, propane lights and the fact that no one can remember seeing dark like it is up there at night...lol

We never had a camp so I missed out on all of that stuff, but we did use to hunt as a party. At one time we had quite a group but most of the guys got older or split off so now its just my dad, brother and wife. Some day my kids will join the ranks, I hope. Who knows I may buy land or a camp some day, sounds like fun the way you describe it Culv.

We never had a camp so I missed out on all of that stuff, but we did use to hunt as a party. At one time we had quite a group but most of the guys got older or split off so now its just my dad, brother and wife. Some day my kids will join the ranks, I hope. Who knows I may buy land or a camp some day, sounds like fun the way you describe it Culv.

I woulnd't trade it for anything. The only regret I have is that my finances didn't allow me to do it earlier. (should have made the wife get a full time job...LOL)

Ya Culv, at my camp the deer herd isn't the biggest, but I still go to camp every weekend when I could just hunt at home and have it alot easier.  But there is somthig about the camp atmosphere that draws me back.  The way I look at it, I would much rather go to camp, learn alot from the older generation of hunters, and work really hard for my deer.  The work weekends always seem to be fun to.  Its kinda funny doing such hard work up to camp always seems to be fun, wether it be cutting and spliting wood of improving and repairing the trails and road.  Good food and great stories.

About 18 yrs ago I threw in with a group of guys who already had about 75 acres of land. So they asked me and my brother to invest in a little over a 100 acres of land that adjoined their property. They had about 7 members but only 3 were owners of the land so now there were 6 shares to buy the new piece of 100 acres. In the beginning everything was great and as usual there is always one ball buster that thinks he rules the roost. But the members let him have his way but complained about him and never did anything about it. So after a few years there was a 10 acre piece in walking distance from our club which I bought. Well after a few years I finally built a house and then a garage on the property and there was 10 acres that bordered my property which I bought. So now I have 20 acres a house and garage to store all my stuff. The club was great the only problem was during hunting season with about 12 guys it was pretty tight especially with only one bath room. Now I don't have that problem with my own place, plus I can now have my 4 sons hunt with me where before there was on room at the club. We are starting our own tradition in the house now and hopefully they will have in the future. So It's different now almost like two clubs, so things change and sometimes for the better. I can invite who I want to hunt and now there is plenty of room. We make special dishes, cut and split wood, drink beer  have some great dart games that last all night, well the boys not me. Summer time they come up and have camp fires and look at the stars and does it get dark. Canoe down the Delaware , barbacue  and just enjoy the land. I feel blessed and lucky and it doesn't get any better than that. And every once in a while we get a few deer.

Dave

Well the best traditon of going down to camp on sat getting it all set up,euchre games sat night, visting neighboring camps on sunday, turning in early sun night to get up for the great monday opener!! came to an end with the opening day changing to sat. Only some of the guys i hunt with can come down thurs evening and hang out and relax fri before the sat opener the rest arrive late friday evening and it just seems to hurried. the only thing that hasen't changed is 7 layer lasagna server for dinner the night before opening day!

euchre games sat night,

Back home in central NY the game of choice was pitch. I never even heard of euchre until I moved to Rochester. since I have guys coming to camp from both areas the game changes based on what they are use to...lol

Look up Farkle...a 6 dice game that is very easy and really tests who has teh biggest set to keep going to win. we throw in a buck a guy and with 6 guys taks about a half hour to finish a game.....and if any LOE's are looking a buck is a male deer ...not a dollar :)

Listening to aunts, uncles and parents banter and tells stories of staying in tents all weekend with a foot of snow on the ground etc was what it was all about.  I always took ml week of and stayed their, then on the last day of ml, they would all rollin for the opening of regular season.  Playng cards all evening and watching my uncle try to cheat at pedro was hilarious. And he always had a "story" to tell, which was actually a joke.  I heard the same jokes every weekend for years. But you still laugh.  Always a big corned beef and cabbage dinner on sat night of opening weekend.  Now that I am umm one of the elders, I get to tell the stories.  Unfortunately with the young guys at our camp, they are too interested in ipods and cell phones to want to listen.  I now hunt with a guy whos grandfather and my dad were great friends. His grandfather hunted at our camp for years. So we chew the fat abut when we were kids and we he came with his grandfather and I was there with my dad.  Well I have a nephew who loves to hear the stories, and takes the harrassment from the older guys.  Last fall he shot at a deer and missed it.  he came back to camp and heard all the comments, and took them in stride.  He tried to use the excuse that the scope must be off.  I took the gun and put three in a clover leaf at our range.  he was pretty quiet after that.  But he did get a deer the next day an dall the harrasment was forgotten and the congrats took their place.  I hope that he will tell the stories someday.

I don't think that you  will agree with me but since the opening day is on Saturday traditions have changed. We use to have the whole weekend to be together and catch up on the past year. Cooking getting things ready for opening day etc. Now many guys come up Friday night and leave Sunday night, not like it use to be. And I am sure it hurts local businesses.

Dave

I started going with my Dad to a farm in the catskills and we would go up friday night. On sat and sun we would get in firewood for the week and also make sure the guns were good to go for Monday morning.

It was a total of less than 5 in camp and like a lot of you, there was always good fun, talking about past years of great shots and also those that were not so great.  They also all had a day to cook there special treats. Me as being the youngest was part of the clean up detail. We also had a old shed to hang thedeer and clean them. Would do after dinner with a drink of wine or beer. Each then telling there tales of the day, were they had sat, amount of deer seen, tracks etc and of course how they go there deer. I know I was in my first year of hunting, had purchased a 303 British enfield from a Ramsey outdoors in Paramus NJ in July for $35 dollars, that was my grass cutting money from the period of May and June. I redid the stock and it had flip up iron sight for long shots or just buck horn for close shots. It was after 420 pm and was getting read dark and this deer came out, got to be about 35 yards from me and I then could see the horns. I just layed that 303 on the side of a maple tree and trigged off the shot. The deer ran about 60 yards and dropped. My Dad called over and sked if I had taken the shot and need help. I sure did need help, it also was the first time I was to clean a deer. Well that night the guys all give me hand shakes on getting a big 6 point buck. That was

50 years ago and I can see that deer walking out just as clean today as it was then as well as My best Buddy my Dad and his buddies. There have been many more deer in my lifetime with gun and bow but that was the first.

Anyone else consider all the prep-work & maintenance a tradition?

Cutting trails & firewood, shooting lanes, plot work, groundwork & base camp jazz. It's not overwhelming if one understands the process, the pay-off's or rewards, peace of mind being one of them. The stories of what worked & what didn't, humor - good times it's all good but as far as I'm concerned most of it isn't happening unless there's a plan.

Well the prepwork is starting to become a tradition as i do not have the ablity and time to hang,trim,mow trail to all the stands, as well as maintain the few perm. stands as i once did. Simply put told the guys that hunt if you want the stands up before the  season you better come out and help! They now call and come out at least 2x before the season and take a weekend in feb. to take all the portable stands back down via snowmobile. the feb weekend is turning into a winter party weekend as they bring their kids,and sled, ice fish,and give snowmobile rides.

The food, the poker, the laughs, and the bucks. Great times with good people. We did start a new tradition this year. We started the "Best shot in camp trophy shoot". We hang a commercial paper deer target at 100 yards. At some point during the week you shoot one time at that target and go down and circle your shot with your name. Closest to the heart gets a personal trophy to take home and your name on a plaque in the camp that gets updated yearly. Everyone seems to like the idea and the personal trophy was 5 bucks with a running buck deer on top. The small piece that goes on the plaque at camp is a dollar. Six bucks a year for a great camp tradition! Arrowsmith

I am the only one in my family that hunts, my dad never did, not my brother. Now, my mom's brother and her uncle were both avid hunters and fisherman. I took an interest in both early on and have never looked back.

My main tradition was not directly around a "camp" but a family tradition, it involved the entire first week of the opener of the Southern Tier, my great uncle owned 350 acres of property just outside of Endicott, NY. Before I could drive, I would take a Greyhound bus from Schenectady,NY  to Binghamton or Geneva, one uncle lived at each place at that time. I would spend the entire week there hunting every single day. That continued for 30 yrs. until my great uncle passed away and the property has since been sold off.

I was a member of an Adirondack camp in the Big Range Area just outside of Speculator, NY for @ 5 yrs. I loved the fellowship and camaraderie that a camp provides. The camp was sold off due to the continually rising costs of the land lease.

I joined a local club/landowner property permit deal for a few yrs. but left do to fellow members constantly squabling about rules and policing the club.

I am currently looking for a good location and possibly rejoining a camp/club that might appeal to me if I can find the right fit.

FDXX75

Good luck with that.

Dave

yeah, no kinding.

The cost and all the new regulations set by the timber companies is crazy...................the average guy by himself can't afford to do it anymore.(lease a hunk of property that is) little lone build a camp to there specs. to have them tell you take it down or we burn it........................that is crap.

FDXX75