Pulling Cameras - Prepping for Gut Pile Photos

Curmudgeon

I will pull my 4 cameras that are dedicated to deer late today. The one on the bone yard stays put. I plan to have them ready to place at gut piles as soon as possible. If you photograph your gut piles, please post in the bone yard, gut pile thread. Let's see what shows up.

• Like 1

I will pull my 4 cameras that are dedicated to deer late today. The one on the bone yard stays put. I plan to have them ready to place at gut piles as soon as possible. If you photograph your gut piles, please post in the bone yard, gut pile thread. Let's see what shows up.

I've been wanting to do that for years and never have a cam on me while hunting. Have had gut piles completely devoured by the next day but never set a cam on one to see what did it. Thanks for the reminder.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Jmp209 said:

I've got to get the pictures from my dad but he set a camera up on a gut pile and actually had another small buck come in and eat the undigested acorns from the stomach contents.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Wow. I want to see those. I have had crows and such do that, but another deer, how unexpected. If you get them, please post them in the active gut pile thread. Thanks.

Merry Christmas 

Edited by Curmudgeon
Forgot something.

13 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Wow. I want to see those. I have had crows and such do that, but another deer, how unexpected. If you get them, please post them in the active gut pile thread. Thanks.

Merry Christmas 

I've visited gut piles a day after killing a deer and (with snow on the ground) seen where other deer had pawed through the remains. I can't know for sure that they did some snacking but I wouldn't bet against it. 

Has anyone thought of different strategies for making the pictures more artistically pleasing without having the stinking gory guts and carcasses featured so predominately. They are great for drawing in predators and carrion eaters, but it sure would be nice to get just the critter without all the nasties in the picture too. I'm thinking of putting the cameras (at least one of them) on the trails leading in to the bone-yard. What do you think?

Has anyone thought of different strategies for making the pictures more artistically pleasing without having the stinking gory guts and carcasses featured so predominately. They are great for drawing in predators and carrion eaters, but it sure would be nice to get just the critter without all the nasties in the picture too. I'm thinking of putting the cameras (at least one of them) on the trails leading in to the bone-yard. What do you think?

Maybe out a perch a few feet away from the bait pile. I'm sure the hawks and eagles would rest on that limb/perch eventually. Set up a cam that can only see the perch and not the guy pile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk