Acorn Scent

BizCT

I used it only as a cover scent last year, but something about the odor was off, and I stopped using it.  Thought was: "do acorns really smell like that?"  I use earth as cover scent now and have read that a squirt or two of apple scent on the hat work...

I did have success drawing in a public land buck on a drag line of "Bob Kirschner's Curiosity Lure" late season.  I wasn't able to capitalize.  I was on the ground, and he spotted my hand move to the bow.  He was on that lure, for certain, though.

• Like 2

Here's a little more background, there is a lone flat area of land that has oak trees and acorns (rest of land is sloping). the deer were coming in almost everyday to this area in Sept and Oct and I saw 4 deer on 11/5 when I shot my xbow buck. They haven't really come back to feed much since. Now that the rut has come and gone, I'm wondering if there is a way to get them back in this area (legally of course). Based on recent buck rubs in the heavy stuff nearby, I know there is a few bucks still alive.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Would it be illegal to bring in one of those small nut crackers, that look like plyers. And pick up a few acorns, crack them open to get the scent out in the open, and drop them back where you picked them up? I have never done so but this post just made me wonder, if it would be considered scenting or baiting?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grampy said:

Would it be illegal to bring in one of those small nut crackers, that look like plyers. And pick up a few acorns, crack them open to get the scent out in the open, and drop them back where you picked them up? I have never done so but this post just made me wonder, if it would be considered scenting or baiting?

Interesting. I also always wondered about cutting down branches and if that is illegal/baiting? Deer by me have no farm fields, so they are eating anything green they can find this time of year.

54 minutes ago, growalot said:

Never tried but hazel nut and hickory nut oils... annis oil is a big one for buck and vanilla for call deer..watch the annis if bear  are in the area

Ya Biz ,watch your annis if bears are around :rolleyes:

i sprayed down with acorn cover up this morning. So far it's working perfect. Haven't seen one acorn 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

So I can cut a bunch of stuff down and pile it up and watch it like a baitpile?

Get a few rags dip them in a sent that deer like  and hang them on some tree  limbs just out of the reach of any deer .

The law says  you can use a sent as long as they cant eat it so you can use anything you like as long as its out of reach of them  being able to  eat it .

• Like 1

It's a pretty cool idea Biz,

Some of the public places I hunt have rules against cutting or damaging trees in any way; not sure if that applies to you but if it doesn't then yea you can cut branches and pile them up, depending on how far you plan on dragging it from where you cut it.  Might get sketchy if you've got a food source that isn't native to the immediate area.  For example, I doubt law enforcement would be cool with me chopping down corn from a nearby standing field and piling it up, but they can't say anything if I chop it down.  

Also, I'd be surprised if you can still find lots of acorns stuck to branches that you can cut and pile up as acorns typically fall in Sept. and early Oct, and have mostly fallen from the tree by now.  It may be worth checking to see what type of oaks they were eating under - white oaks (leaves have the rounded outer edges) and chestnut oaks (leaves look more like beech than typical oak) are usually gobbled up by wildlife first and the Red & Black (pointier outer leaves) are often eaten once the preferred stuff is gobbled up.  

Also, it's probably worth mentioning that no two oak trees are the same, some produce better tasting acorns and will draw the attention of wildlife over other same species trees until their crop is devoured.  So, if they were trolling around white/chestnut oaks and have moved on, it might be worth thinking back to whether they were clustered under one super tree or whether they were spread out under many trees.  Then it would be worth noting what kind of oaks they were.  In either case, if they've moved on then it might be a waste dragging less tasty nuts into an area.  They may still be eating there though, perhaps they're just switching it up a bit?  If you haven't worn out the site then camp it again until noon then still hunt upwind while looking for signs of what they're eating now (yea, much easier said than done).    

Good luck to you!

Edit: and Deerstalker, yea...  If you're looking to draw them in, calls and scents might produce better results with less overall effort.

Edited by sfoulkrod
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2016 at 1:53 PM, growalot said:

BTW...The Kindle refuses to take the correct spelling on that..It is only 1 n and an e at the end. I'm not sure there is a word spelled annis

It could have been worse. Your kindle could have insisted on one "n" and a u instead of an i at the end. Although I suppose it could qualify as a curiosity scent.

• Like 1