Sad that is over

Buckmaster7600

Spent Friday-Sunday "bear hunting" I covered a ton of country trying to help a few college kids that are in the camp down the road onto some deer. We found some deer but didn't connect on a buck but I hope they had fun.

All in all it was a successful season the gps says I did 86 miles and a saw a bunch of beautiful country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

It was a good year up in the big woods.  I am already looking forward to next year.  I did not cover that many miles, and killed both my deer close to camp, but next year I am hoping to venture out a bit farther.  My rifle (Ruger M77 30/06) is a bit long and heavy for that though.   Now I miss my old Marlin 336 30/30, but I never had a good place to use it while I had it.  Those new compact versions of the Ruger American in .243 look like they would be perfect for still-hunting up there, and that is likely the way I will go.         

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

It was a good year up in the big woods.  I am already looking forward to next year.  I did not cover that many miles, and killed both my deer close to camp, but next year I am hoping to venture out a bit farther.  My rifle (Ruger M77 30/06) is a bit long and heavy for that though.   Now I miss my old Marlin 336 30/30, but I never had a good place to use it while I had it.  Those new compact versions of the Ruger American in .243 look like they would be perfect for still-hunting up there, and that is likely the way I will go.         

Would that be kinda on the small side for those big bodied bucks? A close to perfect shot it would prob work but jumping one my call for an angle thru the body. I think i would feel a little naked with a small caliber in the big woods?

I always get sad when the season closes and its a little longer drive home. I miss so many things from camp in the fall from Thanksgiving dinner, woodsmoke and wandering around with the snow coming down.

I hope all stay well and we get out in the big woods again next year...

Happy Holidays..

• Like 2

I got skunked this season even though it was probably the hardest I have deer hunted in the last 10 years. My biggest problem is the area I hunt is big woods and it has been logged off all around me the last couple of years changing the pattern the Deer moved around completely from the past. To be honest these days it is not a big deal to me if I take a deer or not but I have three rifles I have yet to break in so this year my attitude was different and I was in full predator mode.

Started out with a new muzzleloader I put together from and old TC Hawken stock which I picked up on ebay and refinished also put on all new hardware along with a sweet shooting new stainless green mountain barrel in 45 cal. Did not see one Deer during the early muzzleloading season, STRIKE ONE.

Switched to my little Marlin model 94 carbine in 44 mag for the start of regular big game and hunted with that until all the leaves were off, saw does but no bucks. STRIKE TWO

The distances visible in the woods when the leaves came down increased dramatically and I switched to my Dad's old Winchester 88 in 284 and had the same result, does were all that I saw right up to the very last day. So it was STRIKE THREE and I was out of there LOL!

I still had a great time in my mind as I just like to be sitting in the woods and watching life there do it's thing. Now until the deep snow arrives me and the dogs can partake in my favorite kind of hunting and hit the small game hard hopefully to have some real action and not have to worry about trigger happy dog shooters.

Al

Edited by airedale

I only thought I was sad until I start cleaning my rifle, washing and hanging my clothing from the season.

Now I am down right depressed...

I long for the cabin, light snow and wind against my face, my beard filled with ice, long stalks into the woods, smell of evergreen swamps, the smell of black Adirondack mud.......Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

I need a therapist or buy something new for next year.....Any suggestions ?

• Like 1

I've heard no fat ladies singing in the Southern Tier yet. I'm still in it with a buck tag and am hoping some of the drives going on in  properties down the road push a few neighbor bucks my way Saturday or Sunday. Might take a doe if I can with the smoke pole after this weekend.

Just checked the "concert schedule" - Fat Lady scheduled to sing at dusk on December 20th at a southern tier woodlot near you!

• Like 2