Best Venison Summer Sausage Recipe

moog5050

Going to post anyways w/o the secret ingredient, the spices. The allure of eating healthy via venison is lost when you make sausage or ground meat products. Some sort of added pork or beef fat is needed to make the super lean venison palatable after cooking. Where I have my deer processed into venison sausage in Wayne County adds about 3-5# of pork per the typical 30/40# of venison. AND... their secret spice mix, of course!

If it were me, I'd go to Hegedorns in Webster, Breen's in Williamson or any other small grocer that has their own meat dept and ask what commercial brand of spices they use, suggest or might offer. Possibly Joe's Meat Mkt in Ontario might even be helpful.

My dad used to be the king of venison sausage, but he had professional help from a local butcher. He was supplied steak trimmings and the commercial spices. The process (IRC) was to remove the silver skin gunk, cube all meats, add-in spices and some liquid (water, broth, etc), hand mix thoroughly, refrigerate overnight while mixing a few more times before grinding. Sort of a marinating process before the grinding step. Weren't there others that had suggested on different threads to pre-freeze the meat some before grinding, helping the grinder avoid clogging up?

Tony Costanza makes great venison products, 5 stars and kudos to him!!! I've tried some that were gifted to me from friends. I just can't justify his ~$8-12/lb price after you have supplied the main ingredient, the venison. Suppose if $$ were no issue... but to me it's cheaper to eat prime rib.

Moog, if i told you my recipe we'd have to take a long walk down by the river....lol...in all honesty its alot of trial and tasting. I use fennel, garlic powder , black pepper, crushed red pepper and a bunch of other spices (dont have my book in front of me to tell you everything i use), protein powder to bind the fat to the meat, curing salt and can use either wine or water to moisten the mixture. I also found that a 50/50 mixture of pork and venison works best. Before you stuff the meat in the casing, take a small amount and make a patty, fry it up and you and the mrs./kids should taste it to see if anything is missing. Then i smoke mine for 12 hours set at about 130 degrees, then ill hang them in my outdoor patio (in a cold place) for 2 weeks. Comes out lile soppresatta. Like you i take pride in making my own spice mix, not into those store bought packets. But im sure they are just as good.Be sure to post pictures.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fletch said:

Moog are you looking for recipe for smoking it or doing in oven? Cheese or w/o. jalepinos or w/o?

b2726c7e16ac539ace7eedd16be84f0d.jpg

Like these?

No smoker yet, so just dehydrating in the oven. Cheese is good. Man those look good. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1