No Dumping

fasteddie

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hmmm.. looks like he's dumping in the road!! Get back in the woods!!!

I think they prefer to "dump" on forest trails. (Kinda like a "signpost" to mark territory?)

I find LOTS of scat piles when I ride my mountain bike on the trails around Saranac Lake.

I even came across a large bear on the Meacham Lake trail near the Loon Lake end.

BearRidingBike.jpg  :D  JK W/the pic, but I really did see a bear.

All that sign got me motivated to try some early season bear hunting last September.

I used my mountain bike to get back in the boonies quickly & quietly.

VZ500ObendorfMauser008.jpg

Here's a picture from my camp on Mountain Pond.

DSC02173.jpg

BTW: IF you ever decide to use a bicycle for hunting access, it is considered a "vehicle" & as such, you may NOT have a loaded gun in your posession when riding a bicycle.

Dose'nt the rifle bounce around on your back,knocking off the zero of the scope?

No, I keep the rifle slung across my back (over the right shoulder, under the left arm) W/a fanny pack slung likewise under it. The weapon is snug to my back & it kinda rests on the fanny pack for stability.

Besides, the rifle has "LOW" Leupold bases/rings mounting a Leupold VX-II scope.

VZ500ObendorfMauser003.jpg

It would take a lot of impact to knock the zero off.

The gun is quite accurate.

VZ500ObendorfMauser013.jpg

Hmmm.. looks like he's dumping in the road!! Get back in the woods!!!

I think they prefer to "dump" on forest trails. (Kinda like a "signpost" to mark territory?)

I find LOTS of scat piles when I ride my mountain bike on the trails around Saranac Lake.

I even came across a large bear on the Meacham Lake trail near the Loon Lake end.

BearRidingBike.jpg  :D  JK W/the pic, but I really did see a bear.

All that sign got me motivated to try some early season bear hunting last September.

I used my mountain bike to get back in the boonies quickly & quietly.

VZ500ObendorfMauser008.jpg

Here's a picture from my camp on Mountain Pond.

DSC02173.jpg

BTW: IF you ever decide to use a bicycle for hunting access, it is considered a "vehicle" & as such, you may NOT have a loaded gun in your posession when riding a bicycle.

actually this is not true. The only thing considered a vehicle has to have motor power. Hence the laws stating motor vehicle. In fact and it is a big bone of contention here in my area, an amish buggy pulled by a horse is not considered a motor vehice and they can have loaded guns in the buggy. 

actually this is not true. The only thing considered a vehicle has to have motor power. Hence the laws stating motor vehicle. In fact and it is a big bone of contention here in my area, an amish buggy pulled by a horse is not considered a motor vehice and they can have loaded guns in the buggy.

If you want to argue W/a DEC officer that's your business.

I was informed about this regulation by a DEC officer as I was getting a camping permit for the big game season on that very trip.

Nice group but you missed the dime ..... ::D

Very cool,and very accurate.

Those were the 1st 3 shots on paper W/that particular bullet. I had thrown together some loads W/"Quickload data. I ran some over the chronograph to check Mv & pressure signs shooting off my deck the day before. That load showed great (minimal) Standard Deviation.

I loaded up a few rounds & went to the range the next day. Needless to say I did not feel that I needed to do any more load developemnThat very same load did a number on the 2 Whitetail bucks I shiot @ W/it.

Both @ about 245yds, One was DRT, the other, hit @ a bad angle went about 15 yds.

ok but I teach the hunter safety course and it is the dec officers I am quoting when I typed that.  Read the regulation in the guide book.  It specifically says motorized vehicle.  not muscle power. with tow exceptions one is a legall registered handgun in posession of the permit holer and a shotgun when hunting ducks.  However in the boat, you can not fire while the boat is in motion.  Page 18 of the reg guide first column last paragraph.

ok but I teach the hunter safety course and it is the dec officers I am quoting when I typed that.  Read the regulation in the guide book.  It specifically says motorized vehicle.  not muscle power.

That's not surprising.

It wouldn't be the 1st time that different LEOs had differing opinions.

Good luck arguing that before some local justice court.

I'll err on the safe side myself.

again I quote the reg guide from page 18 unde rmnner of taking "it is illegal to hunt wdlife while in a motor vehicle (except by special permiit)" and refer back to definition of a motor vehicle. I read nothig that says on a bicycle as it is muscle power. 

with two exceptions one is a legall registered handgun in posession of the permit holder and a shotgun when hunting ducks.  However in the boat, you can not fire while the boat is in motion. 

Actually, @ one time it was illegal to fire a gun (from a boat) hunting ducks if an outboard engine was still lowered into the water, but I haven't hunted ducks since the 1960s so that may have changed.

Just because it is legal does not mean a DEC officer wont charge you for it. Im sure Bubba can tell you of countless court cases that have been presented in front of him where it turned out that the LE was either misinformed or interpreted the law wrongly. I will say that a bicycle is not considered a motor vehicle and does NOT fall under the NY state laws when involved with firearms. However I will state, it is not a good idea to ride a bike with a loaded gun. This is more of a safety issue then anything else. Besides how hard would it be to stop and pop a shell in if you did encounter wildlife while biking. Think about it.