first time out coyote hunting last night

I don't believe there is a "live from the field" thread for coyote night hunting, so I am making this a stand alone post. (Mods, if you wish to merge this into another thread, feel free.)

Me and two hunting buddies went out yesterday evening to try coyote hunting. Had an electronic caller, wiggly fur thingy and coyote juice scent. Well, no doubt the caller worked, at least for the first time. We heard several coyotes starting howling around us, and sensed/heard one moving between us towards the call from downwind, exactly as expected. The problem was, we couldn't see it. I was using an ATN X-Sight II digital night scope for the first time, and found it cumbersome to "scan the field" with. (The view itself, for what you are looking at at any point in time, is very good.) The other guys just had regular spotlights that they selectively used. Interesting experience. I ordered some rifle-mounted red LED flashlights and handheld red LED flashlights for us to try instead. We are newbies at this, and trying to figure it out. Seems like there are a lot more coyotes in NW Niagara county this year relative to a few years ago.

• Like 3

Each time you go you will learn something. Last year was our first at hunting them with calls. And we learned the the coyote is no push over! But we were able to take a few. Will be going out this weekend for the first hunt of the season. It is a bunch of fun! Good luck out there!

• Like 1

It was a very surreal experience sitting in the stand in near complete darkness and then a coyote starts howling behind you less than 100 yards away (at least it sounded that close). I regret not reacting quickly enough when I saw one while I was deer hunting one morning a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the encouragement.

You can get an IR intensifier (for lack of the correct term) for those scopes that extend your view pretty far. Personally, Id like to get one when I build another coyote rig, but I doubt Id use it to scan with. Thats what a good spotlight is for. Find them with the spotlight (eye reflections), then hone in with the night vision scope.

On 12/29/2016 at 10:20 AM, goosifer said:

I don't believe there is a "live from the field" thread for coyote night hunting, so I am making this a stand alone post. (Mods, if you wish to merge this into another thread, feel free.)

Me and two hunting buddies went out yesterday evening to try coyote hunting. Had an electronic caller, wiggly fur thingy and coyote juice scent. Well, no doubt the caller worked, at least for the first time. We heard several coyotes starting howling around us, and sensed/heard one moving between us towards the call from downwind, exactly as expected. The problem was, we couldn't see it. I was using an ATN X-Sight II digital night scope for the first time, and found it cumbersome to "scan the field" with. (The view itself, for what you are looking at at any point in time, is very good.) The other guys just had regular spotlights that they selectively used. Interesting experience. I ordered some rifle-mounted red LED flashlights and handheld red LED flashlights for us to try instead. We are newbies at this, and trying to figure it out. Seems like there are a lot more coyotes in NW Niagara county this year relative to a few years ago.

Awesome. Welcome to the club. "YOU GOT SCHOOLED", LOL. It's addicting stuff. Go to "BARK AT THE MOON" it's a awesome web site. You can get ideas from there. The guy who started site is from Webster area. Good luck. Keep us posted on your grades at SCHOOL.....

• Like 1

Thanks, growalot. I actually have a deadshot fieldpod. I bought it for use from a blind. (and I use it to site in my crossbow.) Turned out I didn't use the blind this year. I'm thinking our shots are going to be less than 100 yards for the most part. Given how overgrown the field is, I can't see shooting from ground level, unless I set up at the end of a cut trail. 

We had a motley crew of calibers the other night: 22LR, .204 and .30-06.

• Like 1