snow shoes

I have used the Tubbs from LL Bean for many years. I even wore out a pair,(broke a binding) and brought them back. They replaced them with an upgraded pair, (model I had was outdated) with no questions or hassle. So buy once for life! These are very comfortable and east to walk with. And are fine for woods walking, icy conditions, up or down hill. I would also recommend the trecking poles too. 

• Like 1

I also have a pair of Tubbs and they are very easy to walk in and suit me perfectly for rabbit hunting. When looking at snowshoes, you will want them in the 8"-10" width for easy walking while hunting. The length will be determined by your body weight. The more you weigh, the longer length you will need. Most snowshoes have a weight to length rating, and you will probably need something in the 25" or longer length. It is best to get them a little longer. Additionally, check the bindings and keep in mind the type of boots you will be wearing the snowshoes over. My Tubbs have the ratchet style bindings and I find them very easy to tighten and release even with cold hands, and they hold my snowshoes very firmly.

valoroutdoors.com

Edited by CharlieNY
Add
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Paula said:

Love the idea of LLbean, the price is a killer for what use i would get  out of them

I originally bought mine during a snowy deer season, to be able to get to my deer set ups. But I discovered how much fun and and great exercise it was in the off season during the winter. I really enjoy the solitude of the winter woods as the snow falls gently all around me. Snowshoeing is one of my favorite winter activities. And even my wife and grandkids will go along on nice winter days. So we make it a family fun day with a shorter hike, fire, hot chocolate and some snacks. Good times.

• Like 2

In my younger days I was on snowshoes most of the winter hunting Snowshoe Hare with Beagles. I like the modified bearpaw style best for getting around in the woods, I found the trailer type to be too long in the thick stuff and the bearpaw type too wide with the modified being the best compromise for hunting.

For the longest time I used wood frame rawhide laced snowshoes with neoprene bindings, they still make them today and they work perfectly fine. They do require being maintained with a waterproof coating time to time of poly or shellac to keep them in good condition. Those shoes were given to me by my father who had used them for years and they lasted me another 20 or so years before the lacing finally crapped out. So there is nothing wrong with a good set of the old fashioned wood and leather type as long as they are kept up.

When I replaced the old shoes I went with the Atlas brand from Cabelas, they are the new type with an aluminum frame, neoprene center support and ratchet bindings. I have not used them nearly as much as the old wood-rawhide shoes but so far they have worked out fine. They are no better for actual use but the zero maintenance is a plus.

Al

We use these...easy on & off and work pretty good. Cabela's has them on sale. We didn't pay that much for ours when we bought them but just like everything else the price goes up.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hobbies/snowshoes-accessories|/pc/104799780/c/104771880/cabela-s-women-s-snowrunner-snowshoes/2051154.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FSnowshoes-Accessories%2F104771880.uts

• Like 1