Maple Syrup Season 2017

landtracdeerhunter

1 hour ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Maple weekends across New York State today and tomorrow; next weekend as well till 4 pm.. Many pancake breakfast are also being held. 

I'd like to do one of those breakfasts sometime but the couple times we tried, the crowds were too deep.  Maybe I can talk the wife into a run next weekend down to Ray Milk's in Arcade if he's still doing it.

Our daughter is coming home today for a few days (spring break?) so I'll do up some French Toast with Dinsdale branded syrup tomorrow.  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Hoping to squeeze one more run after this cool down. The buds are getting larger here. Trees are slowing down on each warm up we have.

Some of mine have slowed others have not, I collected another 30 gallons in two days this week. Mostly from three trees.

This wind and weather we have forecasted stinks though, it will be impossible for me to cook this weekend.

• Like 1

I also forgot to mention a little experiment with different flavors this season;  butter, bacon,cinnamon, smoke and good old traditional maple with a spike of honey. Was a lot of fun working the flavors and learned a lot. I made some venison maple smoke sausage. The maple sweeten the sausage with a little maple flavor. Goes great with buckwheat pancakes and waffles.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2017 at 11:41 AM, Doewhacker said:

Image result for burn barrle sor sap

Any one run a set like this? I am going to build one.

I run one exactly like that. I use the barrel stove kits that you can purchase at Tractor Supply. They work awesome. Boiled 7 gallons of syrup this year so far, and made 5 pounds of maple sugar. :)

• Like 3