spare bicycle wheels

Was thinking this should be posted in hunting gear reviews, but after dragging 2 ladder stands out of the woods I've been thinking of trying to gerry rig a couple of 20" bicycle wheels to a shaft that I can fasten to my ladder stand so I can wheel it out of the woods.  I don't know if anyone has tried this but I got the idea when I saw a link that added wheels to the Summit climber and made it into a deer cart! As soon as I can garbage pick a couple of wheels I'll post my progress.

I made a removable wheel system for my ladders this year and it worked great. I don't have pics right now, but I will post later. It was about $25 and a half hour of work, I will never drag or carry a ladder again. 

Basically I used a 3/8" threaded rod as an axle, I slid that through a 1/2" piece of square steel tube and used nuts on the axle to secure it with about 2" of the threaded rod sticking out each end of the square tube for the wheels to attach. I picked up two wheelbarrow wheels at Harbor freight, drilled a hole and used a cotter pin to secure to the axle.

On my particular stands (Big Game Stealth DXs), the frame where the "teeth" are has open ends, so I welded two very short pieces of the square tubing to my axle square tube that fit right into those ends of the stand frame. This keeps the axle in place. Two 2 1/2" u-bolts to hold them on. I can install or remove them in about one minute.   

13 hours ago, hunter49 said:

Where you welded the 2 short pieces you could drill holes thru the ladder, drop in a pin/bolt in each & use a cotter pin to secure  instead of the u bolts. Also use wing nuts on the u bolts.  jmo

That would be easier then dealing with the nuts on the u bolts, but the claw is bolted to the frame and the bolt is only 1/2" from the end so you can't slide anything into the frame. The two short pieces are only 3/8", just enough to keep the axle in place.

Great idea though and now you have me thinking... I'm going to tack two longer pieces to the axle that will run below the frame directly under the small inserts and use pins. No messing around with the u bolts. 

26 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

this looks like it may become a community project! I love all the ideas, but I have 2 different ladder stands so I plan to make it universal so it will fit both stands. There is about 2" difference in width between the stands.

2 inch difference is probably enough room to have two sets of lugs . Or a lug on one side and 2 on the other ,it will be slightly off center ,but shouldn't be a big deal for pulling.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Taco I do have a jogging stroller you are welcome to, it has spoked wheels probably 12". 

That sounds great but if you think you could use it, you should keep it. I'm sure i I can find wheels  it's early. i have all summer to get this done.