Age him?

LET EM GROW

I need some opinions on age of this guy.. I call him "Whitey", for his short and very grayish white colored face.. Here is a couple pics from last year, and this year. I first thought he was a 2.5yr in the 2015 season and 3.5 for 2016, but I cant tell now, and Im second guessing myself lol. Im beginning to think he is only a good 2.5yr old for 2016 ... looking for some opinions.. 

He is a super pattern-able buck 2 years straight now which would lead me to think him being only 2.5 this year but who knows..

Thanks in advance!

Capture2015.PNG

Cdy00111.JPG

Capture.PNG

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0915.JPG

IMG_0688.JPG

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I thought I had him pegged for a mid June arrival lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Definitely not - An Aries born on April 17 has an innate understanding of the world around them, and they are always ready for an opportunity that comes their way.   Just look at how he observes his surroundings.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Damn your good. I'm speechless lol. He is very observant I must agree. What he lacks in head gear he gains in brains.. Go Aries

I honestly know nothing of astrology and don't believe in a bit - until now.  LOL  it was the first thing that came up when I googled that b-day.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2017 at 3:40 PM, moog5050 said:

Definitely not - An Aries born on April 17 has an innate understanding of the world around them, and they are always ready for an opportunity that comes their way.   Just look at how he observes his surroundings.

April 17, 1987 was the day my yellow lab Krista was born. One hell of a dog............... 

• Like 1

After tgoing through a bunch more pics of him, im sticking with 3.5 this year, and see what he becomes next year. hes got a big body. and quite built chest. If his patterns stay the same next year, he should be easy to captur eon film again. as a 4.5 i hope lol aka "hit lister"

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

After tgoing through a bunch more pics of him, im sticking with 3.5 this year, and see what he becomes next year. hes got a big body. and quite built chest. If his patterns stay the same next year, he should be easy to captur eon film again. as a 4.5 i hope lol aka "hit lister"

sounds like an educated decision i agree with.  if someone is lucky enough to use a tag on him you should have someone who knows what they're doing look at the jaw and even better send in the center two incisors.  there's people in your area that would help you out i'm sure.  trailcam pictures can do crazy things with a deers appearance but that kind of verified practice and especially history/story to go with it all is great.

if he has a bigger than average body you might see huge jump in antler size.  in 2.5-3.5 year olds i typically see antlers or body size above average, but not often both.  at 4.5 yrs old they really catch up as if they're having their growth spurt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I think you're right at 2.5. Don't stone me but I think the 1st photo and 2nd photo are different deer. It might just be the picture but it looks like the 2nd picture is a different buck I know he has a big neck from the time of year but the nose/face looks slightly different. I think the one in the 2nd photo is only 1.5 year and you have a 2.5 year old buck on your hands. I think you have a good case of similar genes but that last photos says 2.5 based on his belly and how it goes back up around his pecker area. No FUPA going on like older mature bucks.

sounds like an educated decision i agree with.  if someone is lucky enough to use a tag on him you should have someone who knows what they're doing look at the jaw and even better send in the center two incisors.  there's people in your area that would help you out i'm sure.  trailcam pictures can do crazy things with a deers appearance but that kind of verified practice and especially history/story to go with it all is great.
if he has a bigger than average body you might see huge jump in antler size.  in 2.5-3.5 year olds i typically see antlers or body size above average, but not often both.  at 4.5 yrs old they really catch up as if they're having their growth spurt.

I agree, and if harvested insure will have him aged by jaw. This is the only deer that I'm having a hard time with. His chest is built and his build seems alot like the race horse look they claim of a 3.5.. and I was thinking the same, hoping he will put some growth into those Antlers with a good grow season this coming summer. If not no big deal, I chase age not the Antlers. Maybe I posted not the best pics, I have a ton of him and try to save a ton per deer to grow a profile/history of each buck.

I think you're right at 2.5. Don't stone me but I think the 1st photo and 2nd photo are different deer. It might just be the picture but it looks like the 2nd picture is a different buck I know he has a big neck from the time of year but the nose/face looks slightly different. I think the one in the 2nd photo is only 1.5 year and you have a 2.5 year old buck on your hands. I think you have a good case of similar genes but that last photos says 2.5 based on his belly and how it goes back up around his pecker area. No FUPA going on like older mature bucks.

All pics are the same deer, that's not doubt. Maybe I could have picked a better 2015 pic but. Same buck in all. His face and nose give it away. Short snout, more gray face than normal. But his body was big in summer he slimmed up a lot during the rut. Probably the reason his gut is not there. But jes a tough one to age I think.