Tesla’s Cars Will Soon Be Just As Affordable as Gas-Powered Vehicles

EspressoBuzz

Trains are diesel over electric not practical or needed in a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ummm they are already in cars... Many highbrids work in that fashion.. electric when it can, gas when needed (charges and propells.) Running a small gas or diesle generator in an electric could be the next step in road trip electrics.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On 3/4/2017 at 8:46 PM, stubborn1VT said:

Is any new automobile affordable?  Look at prices on a new, base model half-ton pickup.

Yeah no kidding, the wife and I about fell over when we were looking for a new vehicle. We ended up buying a used traverse for her instead of a new pickup for me.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:16 PM, Doc said:

When green transportation can compete (without massive subsidies)  in cost, reliability, maintainability, and performance, it would be dumb not to support the industry.

I'm all for bio-fuels too, when they can be made competitively.  Not like corn-gas that wouldn't be practical without the government propping it up.

On 3/3/2017 at 4:23 PM, growalot said:

How well will they due in prolonged cold spells...-10 15

^This.   I have no problem buying and driving a more eco-friendly vehicle.  But I don't want to pay an arm and a leg.  I don't want to take it into the shop every year to repair its electronics.  And I don't want the batteries to lose their range or stop working all together when the weather gets cold.

I think the current electronic offerings are still a long ways off from being true replacements for internal combustion engines.

19 hours ago, tuckersdaddy said:

ummm they are already in cars... Many highbrids work in that fashion.. electric when it can, gas when needed (charges and propells.) Running a small gas or diesle generator in an electric could be the next step in road trip electrics.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There ya go. Someone finally got it. The future of cars is likely to be electric drive run by a small diesel generator engine. Diesel is more efficient at producing power than gas. Freight trains are based on that principal.

Todays electric cars are not setup for towing, because they are built like cars. Put a diesel over electric hybrid setup in a full size truck, and youd have ungodly amounts of torque which would make them more capable for towing than todays diesel pickups. Its only a matter of time before they bring them out.

Chevy Volt tried to do this--the original one was slated to be a 100% electric vehicle with a gas (not diesel, though) generator to keep the batteries charged, but drive train would always be from motor. When it came to market there were still some scenarios in which the ICE would actually mate to the drive train if I recall correctly and still help out the motor, acting more like a hybrid. But Chevy came pretty close. 

Hybrid tech is pretty mature now and well proven in cars, having been in the Prius for almost two decades. Everything has passed long term testing: battery, all the hybrid components. You can now get a full size sedan with 200 HP that gets far better mileage than even the most rinky dink of econoboxes, and the hybrid premium is only a couple of thousand. It's still a multi-year payback at current gas prices, though.

hybrid.png

Edited by Core