Question for you 3D experts

moog5050

13 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

3d target shooting is absolutely addicting...Real TC can vouch for this...He shoots the northern league in the Buffalo area and I shoot the southern league. We follow IBO rules and I shoot in the hunter class max 35 yards with fixed pins. 6 shooters on a team top three scores count. A round consists of 15 targets. X's are only scored as a 10, but are the first tie breaker so.we mark the score as 10x I'd that ring is hit on the target. Yesterday was our overall league championship for the southern league and they set a hell of a course...First target out of the gate was a poison dart frog at 22-23 yards
6bc91e140627d56df8dba1ebee633fff.jpgwe have the top two shooters in the league so guys shooting other classes decided to tag along and watch our round play out. The pressure was unreal and as a team we only dropped one 8 thru the first 7 targets...Long story short one of the guys tied for best league shooter had a clean round for 150 and the next two guys had a 144. I was low man on the pole with a 137 and I was actually clean thru 9 targets. It was an awesome day to shoot and fun and he'll battling it out with top notch archers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Its addicting for sure. We count the x as 11 in our league so wed give you a higher score Moog, thats great shooting for a compound, exceptional for the stick bow! I shoot Ex Hunter and this year they stretched it to 45, those shots were interesting to say the least. I hold 40 on top of the ten ring since I didnt want to add another pin. I have enough sight picture issues with three lol.

Get out to a shoot, walk-ons are always welcomed and you will be hooked

13 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Its addicting for sure. We count the x as 11 in our league so wed give you a higher score Moog, thats great shooting for a compound, exceptional for the stick bow! I shoot Ex Hunter and this year they stretched it to 45, those shots were interesting to say the least. I hold 40 on top of the ten ring since I didnt want to add another pin. I have enough sight picture issues with three lol.

Get out to a shoot, walk-ons are always welcomed and you will be hooked

I think its quite a bit easier to repeatedly shoot at 20 than deal with lots of distance changes, but it sure sounds fun. 45 yards would likely be a complete miss with my recurve.  I rarely shoot beyond 35 and the arrow drops fast after 30.  I don't know of any 3d stuff near Rochester.  Maybe one day I can make the trip and shoot with you guys.  It would be cool.

24 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I think its quite a bit easier to repeatedly shoot at 20 than deal with lots of distance changes, but it sure sounds fun. 45 yards would likely be a complete miss with my recurve.  I rarely shoot beyond 35 and the arrow drops fast after 30.  I don't know of any 3d stuff near Rochester.  Maybe one day I can make the trip and shoot with you guys.  It would be cool.

Rhinehart puts together a nice shoot in the batavia area every year ,that's always fun.

• Like 2

A bunch of us are going to the R100 in Mass.  This is a 50 target course each day and it is a two day even with a total of 100 arrows.  It is a known distance course so every target you know the distance.  More of a fun shoot vs the pro shoots as no real prize is given except for the iron deer and a few other fun shoots they do after the events. 

This is the link.  https://www.r100.org/events/2016/6/sturbridge-massachusetts-26/

We also have shoots at Suffolk Archers just about every week, let me know if any of you want to come and shoot great fun and sharpens your skills.  This is the calendar for this month.  http://suffolkarchers.com/april

Each course can have different point scoring systems.  We use 10 for the 2 inner rings with the X marked as an X in case of tie.  8 is the outer insert ring and 5 is any hit on the target usually above the legs again depending on who is running the shoot.

PS:  Nice shooting Moog5050, you would probably outshoot most of my traditional shooters! 

• Like 1

@moog5050 local leagues or 3D organizations composed of surrounding clubs can score targets slightly different.  most adopt stuff from national ogranizations like ASA and IBO.  most i've seen use IBO scoring, determine bow equipment that can be used, and associated distances.  usually it's a compound hunting bow, with a max distance of 35 yards within +/- 2 yards for rangefinder error etc.  some don't allow rangefinders some are more casual.  those who setup courses can mess with your range estimation with certain tricks like that test your range estimation skills.  Targets for IBO typically have 3 rings.  outer ring is simply vitals, shaped or size of lungs, which is 8 points.  next inner ring is basically a heart shot (10 points).  then a final smaller ring centered within the heart which is 11 points (perfect shot?).  hit the target anywhere else (wounded) and it's 5 points. miss and you get nothin, zip, zero, ....cordial harassment from your buddies shooting with ya.  typical shoots have 30 targets for a total possible score of 330.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFA-ADK said:

A bunch of us are going to the R100 in Mass.  This is a 50 target course each day and it is a two day even with a total of 100 arrows.  It is a known distance course so every target you know the distance.  More of a fun shoot vs the pro shoots as no real prize is given except for the iron deer and a few other fun shoots they do after the events. 

This is the link.  https://www.r100.org/events/2016/6/sturbridge-massachusetts-26/

We also have shoots at Suffolk Archers just about every week, let me know if any of you want to come and shoot great fun and sharpens your skills.  This is the calendar for this month.  http://suffolkarchers.com/april

Each course can have different point scoring systems.  We use 10 for the 2 inner rings with the X marked as an X in case of tie.  8 is the outer insert ring and 5 is any hit on the target usually above the legs again depending on who is running the shoot.

PS:  Nice shooting Moog5050, you would probably outshoot most of my traditional shooters! 

Looks like fun but that's a long ride!  I think I may try to go to Denton Hill this year.  Its closer and more geared towards traditional shooters and I was invited.  We'll see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlammerhirt said:

TC do you shoot the nys championship series over the summer?

i havent in a couple years I would usually just shoot one as a world qualifier. My weekends are shot with girls softball in the summer. Do you shoot them all?

Edited by The_Real_TCIII

32 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Found it in the IBO Northeast Facebook page.
9d5dde2013897982146da48ebea2691c.jpg

Im going to try to get to Glen Co or Coonhunters. Coonhunters is a really nice club. They were in our league and got out because of some issue, not sure what it was but its a shame they left

4 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Appreciate it. Hopefully it's as challenging as that turkey shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much easer than the turkey shoot as you know all the distances, kind of like when we hunt and use a range finder so it is closer to hunting if you use one.  I shot a 464 on the North American course and a 541 on the African course for a total of 1005 (With a dryfire thrown in for effect!  I was lucky my string was ok!).  If you shoot over 1000 you get a R1000 Pin, lucky me!  Great time with good friends and lots of FUN!!! 

If you take it serous this is not the tournament for you it is all for fun! 

PS: I understand not driving a long distance to shoot one of these tournaments.  We can do this in our back yard but if you get a good group of guys and or gals it is loads of fun!

Edited by NFA-ADK
  • Like 1

Much easer than the turkey shoot as you know all the distances, kind of like when we hunt and use a range finder so it is closer to hunting if you use one.  I shot a 464 on the North American course and a 541 on the African course for a total of 1005 (With a dryfire thrown in for effect!  I was lucky my string was ok!).  If you shoot over 1000 you get a R1000 Pin, lucky me!  Great time with good friends and lots of FUN!!! 

PS: I understand not driving a long distance to shoot one of these tournaments.  We can do this in our back yard but if you get a good group of guys and or gals it is loads of fun!

Did you forget to nock an arrow? Been there, done that
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

Probably wont do as good as you did, but i'm all for the fun of it.