Hooks

Paula

Dang , thought this thread was going to be about turkey spurs, you know , 1.5" limb hangers. We talking stockers or big browns and rainbow? Trouts mouths are small so yes. In this case : smaller is better. As Pygmy would say "grin ". Brother catches some 8-9 pound Browns in Montana on size #21 ( I believe ) dry flies. Calls em gulpers. You can fit 8-10 of these things on a nickel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For trout, I always try to use the smallest hook and lure I can get away with. For the small stream trout fishing I like to do. I'll use a Panther Martin in size, #00, #0 and #1. Usually in one eighth ounce. For bigger water and trout increase the size and weight.

• Like 2

Can never go wrong with a Panther Martin. Always spins , small thin hooks. Best eating fish I've ever had were caught in ASP. Hiked miles up creek to a beaver swamp and caught native fish. Cut off heads, gutted , thru some butter and salt on em. Wrap in foil and onto the fire.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Paula said:

Is best to use small hooks for trout, I have a few spinner spoons but not sure if the hook is to big. 

Pretty much depends on the size/of the trout you are fishing. With brook and stream brown trout a small hook like #6 or smaller is common size. You can go bigger for steelheads and lake browns but as rule use the smallest  possible. Have had Lake Ontario browns hit a pretty good sized lure but for streams I try to keep it small.

hook.png

• Like 1

Unless lake trout...I have always gone with a smaller hook..that said ...hey, I don't get too technical when fishing if it works use it...

Even with Lake Trout, I use tiny 14 trebles with sawbellies or shiners. Never miss hits, they don't feel the prick of the big hook.

Yes I can't touch worms. 

It is a stocked pond that I am going to. I figured Oatka creek is running to fast to fish it. 

I never knew hooks were sized like that, I thought small big and to big. 

Edited by Paula