Easy to clean autoloader

sailinghudson25

Looking for an autoloader for big woods hunting.

Was thinking a 458 socom ar15 before the cuomo ban.  But now want a more traditional firearm.

I currently have a great grouping SKS with peep sight.  Basically an autoloader 3030.

I'd like to stick with 3006 or 270 win maybe.  However, a autoloader shotgun is not out of the picture.  I got a ton of 20ga slugs.

Benelli R1 is super easy to clean although you really don't need to clean it very often. Probably the most reliable "hunting" style auto center fire on the market. I'm surprised it hasn't become more popular but it isn't cheap. I know mine isn't going anywhere! If I was an auto guy I would say that it's probably the best big woods gun produced. It's light, reliable and after a quick hacksaw job to the barrel it's now plenty handy as well. If only it wasn't for Benelli barrels being too hard to be rebored it would be a 35whelen and would be my go to gun. Instead it sits in the closet and gets used once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A.) I clean my guns inside and out when I'm done.
B.) My guns have been swimming more than once.  I also prefer hunting in the rain.
C.) If there complicated or delicate.   I don't have much confodense in it.
Benelli....  I'll take a look at that

I figured you would say that, as I'm guilty of the same cleaning habits. I'd say anything stainless, with a synthetic stock will handle your abuse, and if your in the habit of breaking them down, most "hunting" rifles aren't that delicate

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If you're good on keeping up with cleaning them, then id look for a nice used Remington 7400. I have the 750 and i love it, but they got a bad reputation for jamming. Mine however shoots great and I've never had an issue. 

I saw the benelli r1 at herbs last week and was really impressed with the looks of it. The price also wasn't bad at all.

If you're looking for a semi auto shotgun you can't go wrong with either the Remington 11-87 or 1100. Super easy to clean, and you get the advantage of being able to swap barrels for different occasions. 

Also look into the rem v3 or versamax ( if they have slug barrels yet ) as they say you can shoot 10,000 rounds before needing a clean. My VMAX is coated too, so it will never rust. I've put that many rounds through mine, but I've also cleaned it about 10,000 times

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If an AR is the direction you want to go I would recommend 450 bushmaster. Bullet selection for hand loading and factory ammo are better.

I have been considering rebarreling my Remington 7615 pump 223 to 450 bushmaster so I could use it in Ohio. I couldn't hunt with it in the ADK's for the same reason I would never carry an AR, no comfortable way to carry with the mag and mag well sticking out.

If I were you, I'd be looking at a pump rifle rather than an auto loader.
They are much easier to clean, more reliable, just as fast on game and IMO more accurate too.

Now we're talking! Although I have personally witnessed more pumps jamming than auto's while hunting but most of them are user error with guys who don't practice enough and short shuck them.

I carried the M-4 in the sand for quite a few days.  We used a "combat" sling, which is pretty much a safari sling.  Super comfortable to carry IMO.  I wouldn't hunt with one either, but it wouldn't be because of comfort.

Same here carried an M4 for 8 years and on 4 deployments to the sand and I wouldn't hunt with deer with one. I don't want it hanging across my chest on a 2pt and don't want one hanging off me on a 1pt and their just not comfortable to carry because the mag is right at the balance point. Coyotes on the other hand they are perfect!