Rabid raccoon?

left field

Woke up this morning to find a raccoon laying on the grass in front of my place. He was belly down with his face in the grass. At first, I thought he was dead, but then a shiver ran through his body. He wouldn't respond to any noise I made so I got a little closer and upped my volume. He finally raised his head and it took him a dazed moment to find me. 

We stared each other down for about 10 minutes until he rose then immediately collapsed. A few more tries and he slowly staggered to the woods, falling every few feet or so. He moved like an old man.

I thought he was wounded, but I couldn't see anything on him so I went to the spot where he was laying and there was a large pool of loose and liquid faeces. Maybe poison, but I'm pretty far from any farmer or resident that could poison him.

And then I thought rabies.

Ideas?

Assuming it was rabid, what are the proper steps? Who do I call? DEC? Cops. Pop him on the spot?

Edited by left field

As long as it's safe to do, if a critter is struggling like that, shoot, shovel, shudap. Over the last few years, I've had two rabid coons and a fox. All were walking in circles and foaming at the mouth along with growling. Didn't want them to infect any more critters, so I buried them deep. Also disinfect the the shovel with bleach. I'd pour some bleach on the area with the body fluids in your yard, just to be safe.

Also, could it have been hit by a car and made it to where you found him? 

Edited by grampy
  • Like 2

If in your yard with sick like behavior I would shoot and call Dec to pick up every Dec officer I have met wouldn't give you any issue on that (but haven't met all of then). Personally I would want it tested if rabies or something along those lines chances are they will be more cases locally.

My dad had a rabid fox in yard last year fighting with neighbors dog. Luckily dog is quite big and managed to scare fox up under car and keep it there till Dec showed. Dad said he was going to shoot it but couldn't get clean shot and nothing was said against it.

Again I am not Leo but that's what I would do

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Good idea to have it tested...call the county health dept. and find out if they will test it. If you shoot it do not shoot it in the head because if they test for rabies they test the brain material. More than likely it is parvo or distemper which are contagious. The county health dept. is usually the best place to start.