How many days did you hunt this spring?

mowin

In the spring, I really cannot get the work done around the house as it is. Hunting just hits a very low priority. Plus for so long, we have had a very thin population of turkeys in my hunting area that I likely would feel bad if I took any out. And then there are the bugs. I have a very low tolerance for swarms of black flies ..... actually, no tolerance at all. So I reserve my hunting for the fall and winter. No gobs of household and yard work to be ignored, no bugs, and no shortage of deer and squirrels. It's just a freer time of the year where I can pursue my hunting activities with full energy and dedication without worrying about what is not getting done back home.

I had too look it up.  I hunted 10 days.  The majority of those days were rainy.  I was hunting because I couldn't work.  The birds didn't gobble well at all, but I had a couple good mornings.  I was fortunate to fill both tags with longbeards.

Some other highlights:  

Finding out the cornfield near my house was sold, no longer posted, and is now owned by an acquaintance of mine.

Walking and calling a loop before work, not hearing a peep, then finding 3 big jakes waiting 30 yards from my truck

Getting all jammed up because I had 5 birds gobbling in 3 directions at fly down.  I shot none of them.

Setting up on exactly the right spot and watching a 20lb tom spit and strut for a couple minutes at 30ish yards.

It was an odd season, and I feel lucky to have got my birds.  The weather was awful.  The ticks were bad.  I enjoy calling in birds, but I had multiple days that I never heard a gobble.  With that said, I was successful.  Now it's my busy season for work.  I'm finally starting on food plots. I'm running half my cams.  I'm head to Canada to fish walleyes at the end of the month.

Congrats to all the folks who filled tags, and kudos to everyone who got up early and gave it a try.  I hope you got some enjoyment out of it, and learned a thing or two.  

• Like 2

I also received the survey.  It asked if I participated in the youth hunt and how many days I hunted, and dates of harvest.  There was no place to give additional information, which I would have liked to have given.

jperch

3 for me, my lowest total yet. I knew going into the season I was gonna have little time so on my 3rd hunt I took a jake. The guy hunting next to our property came over after my shot and kinda broke my balls about shooting a jake and I mentioned I had little time ( not that I should have to explain myself) but sometimes you have to take what the woods provide ya.

• Like 1

i wished the season allowed you to hunt all day like many other states.  during the week i work and too far away too early to get a hunt in before i head into the office.  during the weekend in may there's a lot going on or vacation so it's tough to get out then too.  so i hunt much less during turkey season.  i wish i could've put that down as feedback.