What's the most "worthless"

she wasn't a hunter before she met him.  she's long chose to be one since.  i know of other very success hunters where it's a big part of their lives and their other half still doesn't pursue hunting. so i say good for her.  they definitely are successful now, that's obvious.  not like it was always that way though.  he made a ballsy move to leave a good job as a chemical engineer behind, pack some belongings up, and relocate his life to big buck country to better pursue his dreams. he didn't have the big money endorsements back then and the risk he took was probably considered stupid.  he made it work for him though and pretty much made it to the top of what he sought to do, so good for him too.  i'd love hunting on their properties and be able to put in the hours they do, but i surely don't resent them for their situation of being well off, when i know they worked to get there.  Tom Hoffman that's from around here has a ridiculous trophy room.  he goes on $25k sheep hunts like a fat kid eats sweets, let alone the north american super slam he's done.  he built up a business though to pay for his play.  every time i go to a Hoffman's car wash or get an oil change at a JiffyLube I chuckle and shake my head thinking i got indirectly sucked into contributing to his next hunting.

I've always wondered, has she ever been in a treestand alone? I bet she's never hunted without a camera man. Kind of missing the point of the whole thing imo

9 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I've always wondered, has she ever been in a treestand alone? I bet she's never hunted without a camera man. Kind of missing the point of the whole thing imo

in the beginning in MN filming stuff aside from their day jobs maybe.  i know she's gone out with her mother with the roles flipped since they've gotten big.  she's capable but to fill a show they pretty much have to have someone filming them when they're on the stand or doing anything hunting related.

Personally.. I think Ralph and Vicki are the best hunting couple.. they were hunting together before videoing their hunts.. She met him at an Archery shop he worked at... They are friends of friends and have met them several times.. They are genuine as anyone I have ever met, what you see on TV is exactly how they are in person.. 

ralphnvicki.jpg

ralphvicki.jpg

Personally.. I think Ralph and Vicki are the best hunting couple.. they were hunting together before videoing their hunts.. She met him at an Archery shop he worked at... They are friends of friends and have met them several times.. They are genuine as anyone I have ever met, what you see on TV is exactly how they are in person.. 
ralphnvicki.jpg
ralphvicki.jpg

I've met many but not them. I've heard the same about them. In line with this thread a lot of the biggest names will pitch sponsored stuff but openly admit there's a lot of products out there that work to get the job done. I've met some lesser known prostaff that try to push some pretty silly gadgets and stuff. I'm sure they all come across pitched junk. They come across all kinds of stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

By far, undoubtedly was a Remington " blood tracker" led cap light. Package said will illuminate blood... was excited for the first use... quickly became more excited to toss it in the trash can. Thankfully it was on sale at wally world for around 10$.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

By far, undoubtedly was a Remington " blood tracker" led cap light. Package said will illuminate blood... was excited for the first use... quickly became more excited to toss it in the trash can. Thankfully it was on sale at wally world for around 10$.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I bought  a product called "bloodglow" a few years back, to assist in blood tracking after dark.  $ 20 bought enough to track three deer. They say it makes the blood glow bright green under the moon and star light, and it was developed for CSI work.   It has been just about worthless for me because every deer I have shot since getting it has dropped dead in it's tracks or close enough that I could see or hear fall.  On one hand, I would love to try this stuff, but on the other, I am thankful to have not needed it. 

I wonder if the stuff has a shelf life ?  If nothing else, it gives me the confidence to stay in the stand until sunset.   Before getting it, I would usually pack it in a half hour early during archery season, to allow some daylight tracking time.  I guess that makes it good for something.      

The only piece of hunting gear I bought that was truly worthless, was a Hastings Paradox rifled 12 ga. barrel with a cantilever scope mount that I bought for my Remington 870 about 20 years ago,  That setup would stack slugs vertically more than a foot as the barrel warmed or cooled, either from shooting or from freezing weather.  I traded it, plus a little cash, on a T/C Omega ML. That rifle, using the same scope, has always put the bullets right where I wanted them, regardless of the temperature. That, and the fact that I never failed to kill a deer I shot at with the 870 with it's factory, short, open-sight smoothbore barrell, proved to me that the problem was not the gun, the scope, or the shooter.           

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I bought  a product called "bloodglow" a few years back, to assist in blood tracking after dark.  $ 20 bought enough to track three deer. They say it makes the blood glow bright green under the moon and star light, and it was developed for CSI work.   It has been just about worthless for me because every deer I have shot since getting it has dropped dead in it's tracks or close enough that I could see or hear fall.  On one hand, I would love to try this stuff, but on the other, I am thankful to have not needed it. 

I wonder if the stuff has a shelf life ?  If nothing else, it gives me the confidence to stay in the stand until sunset.   Before getting it, I would usually pack it in a half hour early during archery season, to allow some daylight tracking time.  I guess that makes it good for something.      

The only piece of hunting gear I bought that was truly worthless, was a Hastings Paradox rifled 12 ga. barrel with a cantilever scope mount that I bought for my Remington 870 about 20 years ago,  That setup would stack slugs vertically more than a foot as the barrel warmed or cooled, either from shooting or from freezing weather.  I traded it, plus a little cash, on a T/C Omega ML. That rifle, using the same scope, has always put the bullets right where I wanted them, regardless of the temperature. That, and the fact that I never failed to kill a deer I shot at with the 870 with it's factory, short, open-sight smoothbore barrell, proved to me that the problem was not the gun, the scope, or the shooter.           

How do you know it is enough for 3 deer? I mean not knowing how far the deer will go kinda of makes it hard to know how much you will need to use doesn't it? Just wondering as I have never used it. Depending on how far the deer goes you might use it all on just one. 

4 hours ago, stubby68 said:

How do you know it is enough for 3 deer? I mean not knowing how far the deer will go kinda of makes it hard to know how much you will need to use doesn't it? Just wondering as I have never used it. Depending on how far the deer goes you might use it all on just one. 

I think it includes three packets that you open and mix with water or windshield wiper fluid in freezing weather and spray on the trail with a pump sprayer.  Each packet is sized for an "average" track job.  If it turned out to be a real long one, you could use all 3 and/or dilute it a little more. It is advertised as working even better in rainy conditions.

I would not expect it would help recover a deer struck in the shoulder blade with an arrow but those usually heal up anyhow.  It should find most that die within 8 hours including single lung, liver, and gut hits.  It is supposed to show tiny drops of blood that you can not see with the naked eye in broad daylight.

It sounds almost too good to be true but I am not willing to try a bad hit on a deer to find out.  I hope I never need it on a deer I shoot.  I know that I am not perfect though so I may need it someday, or better yet, might use it to help someone else find one.

Another advantage of having that "CSI" stuff available, is that it makes it easier to give deer that are hit with an arrow in the late afternoon a little more time before you start tracking.   They say that the bloodglow works best when it is good and dark.   Just about everyone agrees that it is usually best to give them some time before tracking, regardless of what tracking tools you use.  In the late afternoons, I would often cut that wait time down to 15 minutes or so, to take advantage of the remaining daylight.

I can still remember finding my first archery season antlered buck, only by catching a glimpse of his white belly in the last minutes of daylight.  He was lying dead on his side in a patch of bushes about 100 yards from where he was struck.  He was 15 yards from my tree stand when I arrowed him.  The arrow pierced his heart, but entered the boiler room high and there was no exit wound.  With the pump out, there was also no flow, so not one drop of blood to follow.entered high and did not exit.  I might have lost him without that last minute of daylight, had I not started tracking when I did.

Now, if I don't see them go down or hear the crash, it will be 1/2 hour wait minimum no matter what time of day they were hit.  The only reason I would speed that up otherwise, is if the coyotes reestablish a foothold in the area.  Fortunately, there are real good trappers to the east and west of our place, and they are doing a fine job of keeping them controlled.     

I bought this thing here.  Maybe I'm an idiot because I could never get it to work.  It doesn't hold still.
http://www.basspro.com/Big-Game-Treestands-Universal-Platform-Mount-Bow-Holder/product/10202119/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions

Get a Thirdhand one, you won't be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Elmo said:

I bought this thing here.  Maybe I'm an idiot because I could never get it to work.  It doesn't hold still.

http://www.basspro.com/Big-Game-Treestands-Universal-Platform-Mount-Bow-Holder/product/10202119/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions

I have a half dozen of these and they are handy as heck . I bought some bolts at Tractor Supply so I can mount the bow holder just below the seat of the ladder stand . So easy to use and so handy . I have left a few bolted to stands .