The Psychology Behind the Quest For Trophy Racks

Doc

1 hour ago, Belo said:

you do know that taking a life without any feeling  whatsoever is the definition of a psychopath right? You don't have to cry and morn the loss of your food, but to not feel a thing when ending the life of such a beautiful creature is literally insane.

I think deer hunters respect deer more than anyhow. I know I do.

I feel great film that I put meat on the table. Does that count.

" For me they are food nothing more. I have never gotten excited about them not even on my first. No more exciting then going to store and buying steak. I am happy for you that you get excited. For me it is a useless emotion that get in the way."

Again to my point, what is it in your consistent posting on this subject that you feel is worth your typing and our reading that pertains to the OP ????

I'll tell you this, without tying to call anyone names, but that type of attitude is so far from a "hunter" or a "sportsman". I'm surprised you even belong to a forum... I'm actually disgusted at your attitude towards deer hunting.

I think your best bet at this point is to become a deer farmer, I'm sure at some point your investment will pay off and be less expensive than "hunting".

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

" For me they are food nothing more. I have never gotten excited about them not even on my first. No more exciting then going to store and buying steak. I am happy for you that you get excited. For me it is a useless emotion that get in the way."

Again to my point, what is it in your consistent posting on this subject that you feel is worth your typing and our reading that pertains to the OP ????

I'll tell you this, without tying to call anyone names, but that type of attitude is so far from a "hunter" or a "sportsman". I'm surprised you even belong to a forum... I'm actually disgusted at your attitude towards deer hunting.

I think your best bet at this point is to become a deer farmer, I'm sure at some point your investment will pay off and be less expensive than "hunting".

Easy Now!!  Even us Deer Farmers respect and enjoy our animals as much as the wild ones. Probably even more because most also make 6 figures doing it.  Forget he even said that Stub.

36 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

What i said in my first post has been proven many times with the comments from the trophy hunters. As far as anything else nothing has been posted pertaining to the opportunity by anyone in about 9 pages. It has all been bashing of people go do not trophy hunt.

As far as my attitude towards the animals I kill. Even if I did get excited. About things I would not get excited about taking a life. Any life human or animal. I respect the animal by not being excited about taking its life. And I also show respect by (going to take a cue from wolok here so hold on) taking a knee and thanking the deer for its sacrafice and the Lord for giving me the opportunity to take it. I also show it respect by making a quick clean so the animal has very little to no suffering. I show respect by not making them a decoration for myself or others to admire. Why would anyone get excited about taking a life. Try respecting the animal not the decoration it provides you.

44 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Easy Now!!  Even us Deer Farmers respect and enjoy our animals as much as the wild ones. Probably even more because most also make 6 figures doing it.  Forget he even said that Stub.

Don't worry the Lord does my deer farming for me.

Now that is something i would devote my season on if he was in my area's of choice. Not that i would not have 1 or 2 backups in the area looked at but yeah...That Would Work!

Lots of monsters on Staten Island. I don't think hunting was ever allowed there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talk about assumptions. Just because one hunts for meat and not bone does not mean they do not have the drive or that they do not prize the experience. Not shooting big old bucks does not mean I do not see them or have the open tuning to take them. It just means I didn't shoot them. As you said it is a choice. Just as I do not shoot every young deer that walks by me. 
              The prize for me is being out there the meat is a bonus. If it has bone on its head fine that makes good knife handles. 

We eat 4-6 deer a year... guessing that makes me a hunter. As for the experience it increases with the challenge. Try keeping your forefinger away from your gun the next time that jaw dropper year and half is near your stand and you'll feel the rush... can't imagine what that 2 yo behind him will do for your cardiac condition.

I seemed to miss the tally- how many folks are killing these trophy deer and I satisfied? There is a pretty obvious correlation to a few things here...

Stubby, I'm sure you've been asked this before but it still confuses me.... For a guy that gets zero emotion out of hunting, isn't excited by it, sees it as a chore to gather meat, doesn't aspire to target a specific age class or any other form of selection when it comes to deer, can't grasp why people show respect by hanging their racks to be admired or their pictures to stir memories... I'm struggling to understand why you are so avid on a public hunting forum. I know people who are non chalant about hunting, aren't thinking about it every day like most of us do, and I can tell you for certainty they wouldn't have any desire to join a hunting forum. And you seem to keep pictures of the bucks you kill, have shoulder mounts (that your dad did), remember aging specific bucks etc.... All of which adds up to even more inconsistencies in what you post? If they truly are "food, nothing more" then would you keep pictures of the farm raised cattle you eat? Or the chicken you raise and butcher (if you do or did?). Those things are truly "just food."

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I wonder how much social media and the decline of the traditional hunting camps have on topics like this? The person to person interaction and the social interdependent nature of the hunting camps VS the posting pictures for "likes" from folks that are barely known. I see more and more hunters that take on the sport as a solo event or with one close buddy. I know growing up and hunting with our party of 8-10 guys there was always a good spirited competition on who got the bigger or most (insert animal in season here). It wasn't a life or death competition but it was for bragging rights until you were dethroned.  

if you're not posting your buck on a page like nyantlers i think social media is just a modern version of deer camp. I'm only friends with people who are my friends on facebook lol. A good many of them hunters. So with the demanding busy lives we live, it's the easiest way to share success and to give congrats to others. It's certainly not as great as opening day in the barn at deer camp. But it is very much the same.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

I'm surprised you even belong to a forum...

that's my thought too. A guy who is just going grocery shopping doesn't typically belong to an internet forum, let alone one where he's active daily.

If you you're not after big bucks, you've killed hundreds of deer and never made a mistake... why are you here? Don't take that comment with any spite behind it. I'm generally curious. 

Edited by Belo

14 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Trophy NT rack on Staten Island.

look at all that awesome habtitat around him and lush food plots.  he must taste like garbage.  no doubt some on here wouldn't waste a bullet on that deer .....it's okay i'll take one for the team and burn my tag on it, so as to not burden anyone else with such rancid meat.  uurrgghhh should i label the packages that go in the freezer as "trophy deer A" so there not mistaken with others?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, growalot said:

:rolleyes: I wouldn't except an invitation from you to do anything...but you hang in there. I love watching people show their true sides.

Good answer............You mean the real truthful hunters!  Stick around, You may learn something. Or just sit back and keep it shut cause it really does have nothing to do with you?  Except putting pics up, Seems like you like to do that to get the back slap in every aspect!

11 minutes ago, growalot said:

These are your fellow hunters ^^^^ nice!!  Hunters EVERY where should be proud, hail their integrity revel in their greatness and inspiring words :mda:

....the point being that entire post was sarcasm and should sound absolutely absurd to everyone here, regardless if your a trophy hunter or not.  therefore, someone who posts that and actually means it is not our fellow hunter.  I highly doubt they're in such prevalent numbers too.  Stubby included, even if some of his posts come off as a front with content maybe a little simply to contest others that disagree with him.

your first statement in the quote is disheartening in it's intent when i read it.  the second statement i kind of agree with, despite coming across as embellished fulfillment.  predicated on the assumption humbleness is still there.

• Like 4

True sides.... Again showing the reality of how close minded you are, and set with the standards that YOUR way, YOUR thought process and YOUR opinion is the only way.... Your true side has show ma'am. Your quest is not for big antlers, your quest is to show all us young pups your ways and you have no comprehension of the reality around you and no willingness to learn about others ways of thinking.

Insert smiley emoji

• Like 2