I was wondering about......

First-light

Well if i hear a shot way early i think that the guy is unethical and more or less a criminal. a shot within a few minutes..well maybe his watch is off or mine is. There are a lot of laws out there and if one took the time to look at and learn them all i'm sure even the most ethical guy could be found in violation of something.

It is our responsibility as hunters to know, understand, and follow all of the regulations.

Ignorance is not an excuse.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always say if i wanted ti i could hunt and drag and skin and process without anyone knowin...but i couldnt live with myself..if i spent all my time watching my clock i wouldnt see the deer comin

hey Pat,

Is it too much to ask to spell chek your posts?    8)

I find it hilarious that people can sit here and justify breaking the law, and calling people who follow the law liars.  But the best part is they do it on an internet site where they are anonymous (this means no one knows who you really are).  But in a room full of people you would not admit to your actions.  Do I speed yeah I will say that since my new truck does not have cruise control, it slides up over the posted limit.  And when I have my bike out it surely goes faster than 55.  However, I do not justify it, and if I get stopped, I take the consequences and not complain about it.  However I feel that a vehicle and traffic law violation is not quite the same as a misdemeanor or felony of hunting befor or after legal hours. Any deer you take during the times it is illegal is poaching plain and simple.  Whether that be 10 minues after legal light or midnight, the crime is the same, the penalties are the same, and losing your privelege to hunt is the same.  If you so choose to do so, you are taking the chances. 

Bubba, Want to stop over for a steak tonight and I'll say it to your face? I would have no problem stating how I feel about this in any arena, I don't have my internet muscles on. I'm just being totally honest here. Let me say it again, this is not about predawn darkness. Those shots are crazy and not safe. This is within 10 minutes of start-up and closing time. There is plenty of light to shoot. I totally understand there is a zero hour where we lay down our arms, I just feel that most people would take the shot slightly before and after. Yes technically speaking it's breaking the law and I would be found guilty. I also would not feel guilty or less proud for taking a deer 1 minute over the legal hunting time. Don't get me wrong those of you that say you follow the book right down to the minute, have at it. For me 5-10 minutes is no big deal

and will take the shot.

If your driving 60 in a 55mph zone..its illegal..however most do it..thats how i see the 5 min...people who do 80 in a 55 are sure to get yanked over...that to me is more like a  half hr past

We are not talking about driving.  We are talking about hunting.

If you drive over the speed limit....you are a speeder.

If you take a deer outside of the legal season or hours....you are a poacher.

I sure as heck wouldn't want to be considered a poacher....how about you?

Well unless you have an atomic clock that is adjusted to your exact position i would bet a lot more people have broken this law, move a few hunderd yards and your time is different by 1/32 of second than where you started from. For those of you that are 100% rules compliant i sure hope you have one! or you'll never be able to live with yourself!  :D  For those of you who like most follow this law as close as possible we'll continue to enjoy our time afield guilt free. And for the blatent violators... it may take awhile to get caught but eventually i'd  like to think you will.

Sorry I'm going to put this to rest, once and for all. If you look up the sunset time for November 15th 2010 it is 4:39pm.

Now we all know the contest that ran this year, success stories and such. Well if you read the stories there is one that is wonderfull, a dedicated hunter getting the opportunity to harvest the buck of a lifetime. He succeeds or does he? ??? Hmm??

Here is a quote, "I was fully  prepared to eat the tag this year if need be but willpower,  determination, preparation, and attention to detail all came together    4:45pm 11/15/10 in my favorite hemlock stand."

The link: http://huntingny.com/forums/index.php/topic,2707.0.html

Wow I guess he should of been disqualified, look at all those well respected hunters congratulating him.

I mean that, I respect you guys. That deer was shot 6 minutes after legal hunting time but we all were proud of him but nobody took notice of the time! I respect this hunter and the manner it was taken in.

Try to take it away from him, try.

End of story!

I never said you were an internet tough guy. But since you seemed offended by it, I have to wonder.  The bottom line is as I said before. 10 minutes after legal time is the same ofense as doing so at midnight. If you are willing to chance having a criminal record follow you the rest of your life, that i sfine with me. Your mind is already made up, so there is no sense confusing you with the facts. I will abide by the law and sleep well at night knowing I did not commit a crime.  I can not wait to see the post where you complain some hot shot wannabe eco ticketed you and you pay big fines and lose your hunting priveleges for 5 years or so.  And as far as stopping over for a steak, no thanks because saying to my face you shot illegal deer would only make me turn you in and I would make the call right in front of you.  So I guess that would not be good. 

Gman..thats great..burt..even greater..flinger..were talking laws..there was a thread for leeks(wild onions)...illegal to pick in nys..yet alotta people here know how they taste..if stupidity were against the law..ida been behind bars a long time ago..due to the opinions of others..i only ask hunters to use common sense..some here cannot grasp that concept..if that makes me a cheater..then dont play in my field..

Burt, depending on where that deer was taken in the state,sunset being 439pm he could be leagaly hunting untill 503 pm if he was in chautauqua co.  like i said if your going to be a 100% law compliant you better have an atomic clock that updated your position as you move! And the state seems to only give 3 minute guidelines so i guess 3 minutes is acceptable in their eyes..

Bubba, Want to stop over for a steak tonight and I'll say it to your face? I would have no problem stating how I feel about this in any arena, I don't have my internet muscles on. I'm just being totally honest here. Let me say it again, this is not about predawn darkness. Those shots are crazy and not safe. This is within 10 minutes of start-up and closing time. There is plenty of light to shoot. I totally understand there is a zero hour where we lay down our arms, I just feel that most people would take the shot slightly before and after. Yes technically speaking it's breaking the law and I would be found guilty. I also would not feel guilty or less proud for taking a deer 1 minute over the legal hunting time. Don't get me wrong those of you that say you follow the book right down to the minute, have at it. For me 5-10 minutes is no big deal

and will take the shot.

Rocket man,

You want a steak?

The way i see it (that it really makes a difference) some on hear do things different than others.I have never used a watch and have been hunting 30plus years.All of my hunting is done on my land or letchworth state park.I am in the stand at dark and out at dark.I let the day and sitituation tell my if its time to shoot.There are some many different things that can happen in the woods ie.fog,fain.I know i have passed on some shots and i know i have taken some shots.To say takin a deer 2 minutes after time is the same as takin one at midnite is like apples and oranges.If everyone uses their heads we wont have a problem.The problem is everybodys mind works a little different...That can get a little iffy.

Pat, I'm sure that those who hunt to feed their families are not waiting for legal shooting time  . If it's a few minutes before or after and a matter of food for the family I think they would shoot to feed their family. These hunters have a moral dilemma and I feel for them, family comes first. When you hunt for food it doesn't matter if it's a doe or a buck. I don't think they would care what people would think about, if it's ethical or not or even illegal. You have to do what you have to to feed your family.

Dave

Unbelievable how many guys are okay with doing something illegal just to kill a whitetail  ???  ;) wonder what else they might do?

Antler, ever hear this people who live in glass house shouldn't throw stones. You must be the most ethical person on this planet, never did anything wrong. I am sure you must have some ghosts in your closet. Why are you so rigid, in life there are exceptions not everything is black and white.

Dave

Gman..thats great..burt..even greater..flinger..were talking laws..there was a thread for leeks(wild onions)...illegal to pick in nys..yet alotta people here know how they taste..if stupidity were against the law..ida been behind bars a long time ago..due to the opinions of others..i only ask hunters to use common sense..some here cannot grasp that concept..if that makes me a cheater..then dont play in my field..

It is absolutely not illegal to pick wild leeks in NY... show me that law