Yep still no buck...but

growalot

that green plot looks so good that I would make a bowl of salad to go with those backstraps standing there!  

Ya I'm thinking that my doe drags will be tough this year...a few of them have their bellies so stuffed they look pregnant already...lol

Though, I am a bit concerned for my season...I am not complaining but last years acorn drop was actually too much for them to eat...and they are dropping huge acorns again this year...All we have are reds...200 of them ..plus the apple trees are packed there is just so much food out there. Once the surrounding camp guys start showing up...I just might lose all my day time activity again. That's what happened the last 2 years.

1 hour ago, growalot said:

Ya I'm thinking that my doe drags will be tough this year...a few of them have their bellies so stuffed they look pregnant already...lol

Though, I am a bit concerned for my season...I am not complaining but last years acorn drop was actually too much for them to eat...and they are dropping huge acorns again this year...All we have are reds...200 of them ..plus the apple trees are packed there is just so much food out there. Once the surrounding camp guys start showing up...I just might lose all my day time activity again. That's what happened the last 2 years.

it's not a bad thing having red oak acorns.  prefer a good mix with white and others.  my understanding is they aren't as preferred as white, but they drop and last longer before they start to rot.  depending variety, your soft mast will ripen and have lots of draw with all the sugar content.  when all that is gone your red acorns will still be plentiful.

only problem with that is many hunt open fields or plots.  acorns hold deer in timber until last light and during midday strolls just as much as heavy hunting pressure well through the season.  you just have to find dead spots of "cover" with lesser deer activity and other routes to access your stands of mast trees undetected.  don't burn out a stand of oaks.  apple trees are less worry because one will drop fast and then there's nothing left and the deer move on.

also because our farm is mostly hay fields with many farther away being cut later, we have a doe factory/haven.  it's common to see plenty of doe with much fewer bucks during the summer.  still gotten yearlings and 2.5 year olds on cam though.  then come hard antler the doe stay but the bucks shift and setup shop on our place with sufficient doe and everything else they need.  bad side is buck home ranges are always elsewhere, so we have to rely on the rut to bring them to us and even during the season it's much harder to hold bucks on our farm.

Well I have the oak hunting covered for I have several plots and plot trails in the oak flats and at least a dozen stands and blinds surrounded by oak... and I make sure it's groups of Oak because my reds do not all produce the same year...and I'd love to have whts...but this side of the hill does not have them..or very very few, none with in 2 miles of us...Go across the valley and they are loaded with whts. Today on my walk I saw my first buck I held Angel as he fed on acorns and walk right up to us 15 yrds before Angel gave a whine...I was checking stands today. I know the buck are checking out the area now I hear them grunt and see there prints...I found a scrape today...so they are starting to map out their "hunting grounds", as it were...My walk now shift to the road...