Hunting clothing storage

adkhunter71

I don't think I've ever washed my outer layers.  I might have washed a pair of pants off with a hose, but that would be it.  I keep everything in the garage (along with 2 cars) during the season and in the basement in the off season.

Inside layers get a regular wash, but hardly ever during the season, just once after it ends, and maybe once during the season if I know they have been sweated in out had some other contamination.   

I do select where I sit based on wind direction and have several tree stands to choose from, so I am conscious of scent and how it may help or hurt my hunting.  Maybe I will try to be a little more concerned with odor control on my outer layers. 

I store my stuff in Rubbermaid totes in the garage. But I pick through them throughout the year and drag out pieces of camo randomly so it's never air tight or sealed all year. Week before season starts I'll take it all out and wash it all in scent free detergent. Not the expensive deer on a bottle stuff, you can get un scented detergent in regular brands for half the price and way bigger bottles. I hang dry everything outside and then stuff it all into some scent lok stuff sacks I have and back into the tote. These are all outer layers mind you, under layers I keep in the house, finish getting dressed in the garage when I head out to hunt. Spray down with scent free spray and off I go. Usually give myself another spray after getting settled up in the stand. I also swear by those hunters specialties scent wafers. I like the fresh earth ones. Pin one on my pack or a zipper on my pants.

I also switch shower soap and deodorant to un scented ones this time of year until after season is over. Don't use any cologne or body sprays either. Don't know if it helps, but I like to think it does.

The liquid Ivory soap has a sweet oder IMO, the bar stuff doesn't have. So I buy a few bars at a dollar store, and shave a little off into the washer with my hunting clothes. Just the way I always have.
The pine branch is something I started doing about 4 years ago. Read about it somewhere, supposed to make your clothes smell like pine, which it does faintly. Does it really work to mask my scent? Probably not. But part of my routine now.
To each their own, this is just the way I do things.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

What? Really? Why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What? Really? Why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes really.
Why? Because it's just the way I do things.

I'm not huge on cover scents or eliminators, but feel the Ivory soap doesn't hurt. That and it's an oder free soap I get in a package of 3 for $1.
The pine branches are free so if they help or not, I'm only out 5 minutes of my time to walk out and get them.
The only thing I treat my hunting clothes with is Sawyer's.
I started using the plastic tote mainly because it was easier to keep the clothes in that hauling to and from the truck. I don't put my hunting clothes on until I am actually going into the woods, and then they go back in the tote when I am done hunting for the day.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk