New to me old in general

eagle rider

Welcome to the family.... a 1967 Model 70.  30-06.

Its a cream puff, but far from original condition.  Iron sights removed from previous owner.  Was thinking about keeping it a shooter and putting a pad on it instead of the butt plate.  And putting new sling studs on.  The set that it currently has is original and doesn't allow for the sling to be easily taken on and off.  Will add some glass soon and adjust the trigger down to about 4 pounds from the 6 that it currently is.  

The metal (other than the missing iron) is damn near 100%.  The wood 95% plus.  It was an even trade with a guy in CT for an older O/U that I didn't want to own.  

With a little luck I might even have it ready for the woods this season.  

IMG_6204.jpg

IMG_6203.jpg

• Like 9

Nice score, Eagle !!   We'll be eager to hear how she shoots...

I have one M70 ( in .280 Rem)  and have worked up loads for several that belong to friends...While none of them have been tackdrivers,all have provided good hunting accuracy...

Edited by Pygmy

13 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Nice score, Eagle !!   We'll be eager to hear how she shoots...

I have one M70 ( in .280 Rem)  and have worked up loads for several that belong to friends...While none of them have been tackdrivers,all have provided good hunting accuracy...

280 REM is one of the most under appreciated calibers. Out of a 24" barrel, when loaded to the same pressure with Norma MRP, it is nipping at the heals of the Remington 7mm Mag and it is much more consistent  IMO. My 280 Rem M700 CDL would spit 139gr Interbonds at 3150 FPS out of the 24" barrel at <60K chamber pressure. Even with a drop tube, one can't stuff enough MRP in the 280 case to exceed 60K pressure with 139/140gr bullets.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 4

Went with a Vortex X-Fire II.  This is it at the range.  Pics of the prints.  The target is 100 yds 3 shot group with Fusion 150 gr.  The shot up box is four rounds at 200 yds.  Thinking she is a keeper.  I adjusted the trigger down to 3.5 pounds.  All good, very happy.  

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg

• Like 2