Family room remodel

14 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I'm not cheap but I am easy..lol

I would not mind paying top dollar for high quality work.  Hell, I've paid others a hefty amount and their work was downright pathetic.  Not easy finding someone these days who actually knows what they are doing or takes any real pride in their work.  Most contractors these days take on nine jobs at a time, and don't put any real attention to any of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steve863 said:

I would not mind paying top dollar for high quality work.  Hell, I've paid others a hefty amount and their work was downright pathetic.  Not easy finding someone these days who actually knows what they are doing or takes any real pride in their work.  Most contractors these days take on nine jobs at a time, and don't put any real attention to any of them.

I think that disappeared or diminished when people quit calling their occupation a craft or trade and call it a job. I saw it a lot on on the projects I managed with masons. Try to find a really good stone mason that is under 50 years old. They are like hens teeth. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I think that disappeared or diminished when people quit calling their occupation a craft or trade and call it a job. I saw it a lot on on the projects I managed with masons. Try to find a really good stone mason that is under 50 years old. They are like hens teeth. 

Or amish and they still aren't great but they take pride in their work. A lot of contractors hate the amish but they are the only ones that will do the job right (most of the time) and to the end. I have only heard of 1 instance where the amish screwed the pooch.

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

It's poured epoxy. Base color mixed in is copper. There is turquoise, gold and copper metallic flake that is either mixed into epoxy and poured to highlight or they are diluted in alcohol and sprayed on the epoxy and manipulated with different techniques. (blown with a hair dryer, blowing through a straw, dragged with a stir stick, smeared with a putty knife or light the alcohol on fire with a propane torch after you spray it on. . 

What brand epoxy did you use? I'm doing a cherry bar top and also want to do a penny counter top.

Or amish and they still aren't great but they take pride in their work. A lot of contractors hate the amish but they are the only ones that will do the job right (most of the time) and to the end. I have only heard of 1 instance where the amish screwed the pooch.

I think the Amish are a hit or miss community...the elders built up the reputation of hard working guys and the younger generation seems fine with cutting corners. They love the rough work, but when it comes to finishing, that's where they lack in our area.

They built a gorgeous barn on the property I hunt, but magically disappeared when the doors would not close properly or adjustments needed to be made.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, DDT said:

What brand epoxy did you use? I'm doing a cherry bar top and also want to do a penny counter top.

http://www.countertopepoxy.com/premium-clear-epoxy-for-countertops-bar-tops/

in their photo gallery under bar tops look at photo 8 of 11. I was really looking to do the penny bar at first but my wife saw the copper patina kit and my plans got changed.  If you put a boarder on all sides of the bar the yield should be on the lower side of their estimates. If you are going over the edges you will be on the high side. MAKE SURE THE TOP IS 100% LEVEL or you will chase it off. it will just run and run and run some more. 

I would think each penny would have to be glued down so they don't move while you are moving the epoxy around. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the major work is done. I still have touch up paint, outlet covers (when she finally picks them out), build the doors for the back side of the bar and waiting on the area rugs to come in. Finished the flexible track lighting at about 9:30 last night. NOW maybe I can get some treestand time...lol

post6.jpg

post 1.jpg

post2.JPG

post3.jpg

post4.jpg

post5.jpg

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Well the major work is done. I still have touch up paint, outlet covers (when she finally picks them out), build the doors for the back side of the bar and waiting on the area rugs to come in. Finished the flexible track lighting at about 9:30 last night. NOW maybe I can get some treestand time...lol

Looks awesome!!!   The only thing missing is a moose head over the fireplace.

8 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I have 3 deer mounts and a bear mount. The wife and I are still in negotiations...lol

It boggles the mind how they seem to have the last say on everything.  We pretty much sign our lives away when we get married.  Lately, if any guy tells me he's getting married I go look for a tape measure to measure his neck for the ball and chain they'll be hooking on.  If he has a size 16 neck, the steel collar that will get put on will be a 14.  Nice and snug so it makes it tough for the poor sucker to even breath.  LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

post6.jpg

post 1.jpg

post2.JPG

post3.jpg

post4.jpg

post5.jpg

Nice work!  I hope you get to enjoy a job well done be it in stand or from behind the bar.

• Like 1