What knife do you use for field dressing?

Jdubs

On 10/21/2017 at 9:12 PM, Daveboone said:

for years I used my Buck 110, but allways thought it on the clumsy side. for about the past 20, my favorite has been a 3" drop point caper I put walnut handles on. great little knife, my all time favorite but the fat thick little blade left something to be desired loosening the rectum (kinda odd sounding) and needed frequent rehoning. The past couple years I have gone over to a vintge Schrade Sharpfinger.....probably the best combo of design and edge holding I have used so far. After using it a few days ago on my ML spike horn, I had to take a minute to realize just how dang effortless it made the task. 

That's funny, I have done the exact opposite.   I carried a Sharpfinger for many years, but started carrying an old classic Buck 110 that my father in law gave me, about 7 years ago.   That old Buck knife is probably more than 40 years old, but it was in like-new condition when he gave it to me.  He did a lot of pheasant hunting in his younger days, but not so much big game hunting.   It was probably never used, until I broke it in on a early ML doe at his old camp in the Adirondacks, 6 years ago.   It did ok on that one, with a factory sharp blade, but not so hot on the next few deer.   It does not hold an edge nearly as well as my old Sharpfinger.   I continue to carry it, mostly because I do not want to hurt his feelings by using another knife.  When I kill a deer at his place, the first thing I do is call him on the cell phone, to get his ATV as close as possible (if I am far enough from his house that he does not hear the shot).   He is usually there when I am gutting, and would certainly ask questions if I was using another knife.  He carefully watches that whole process and is especially impressed with the butt-out tool (that worked very well for me both times up there last year, but failed two out of three times at home). 

I also find the folding Buck knife a bit clumsier than the Sharpfinger, and I miss that little notch on the backside of the blade for opening up the belly.   I have learned how to get a good edge on the Buck though, and now that is something I make sure to do after every use.   The sharpfinger was always good for the season, and sometimes went a few years without needing a touch-up.   The Buck hosed me a few years ago, when I used it to finish off a "roadkill" button-buck that a hit and run driver had left at the end of our driveway.   It took some tough hacking to get thru to the juggular, and I narrowly avoided being struck in the head by flying hoofs in the process.  My daughter, who was holding a flashlight for me, was somewhat trammatized  by the ordeal. The knife had lost it's edge, gutting and skinning a couple deer earlier that season. 

I think I will try and find my old Sharpfinger, prior to heading out at home with my crossbow in a couple weeks.  I will continue to us the Buck up at the in-laws place however.  It is the least I can do for the free room and board.    

Edited by wolc123

20 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

Browning model 127, and a sog switch hunter. I found the browning by a gut pile one year and that thing gets scary sharp with just a stone. the sog has a bone saw and i just cut through the pelvis with it. 

Always check gut piles for watches and knives !

• Like 2

Good News, I found my old Sharpfinger this morning, in the bottom of a silverware drawer in our kitchen.  It looks a little rusty, but nothing a wire wheel can't clean up.   I found the sheath down in the basement a few weeks ago, while I was sorting thru some old hunting and fishing gear.  That find, coupled with Daveboone's mention of that model, really intensified my search for that "long-lost knife".   The knife and sheath must have got parted about seven years ago, when I probably threw it in with some bloodied up meat trays and grinder parts for my wife to wash after I finished butchering.   Washing dishes and vacuum sealing is usually the extent of her contribution to the butchering process.

Her dad gave me the Buck 110, a few weeks after I "lost" it, so I did not try real hard to find it.  I am glad I located it now, just in time to get it cleaned up and sharpened in time for crossbow hunting at home and at my folks place next weekend.  The Buck 110 will be my "Northern Zone" only knife from now on.   Using it over the last 6 seasons has made me long for that easier-handling, better edge-holding Sharpfinger.        

20 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Good News, I found my old Sharpfinger this morning, in the bottom of a silverware drawer in our kitchen.  It looks a little rusty, but nothing a wire wheel can't clean up.   I found the sheath down in the basement a few weeks ago, while I was sorting thru some old hunting and fishing gear.  That find, coupled with Daveboone's mention of that model, really intensified my search for that "long-lost knife".   The knife and sheath must have got parted about seven years ago, when I probably threw it in with some bloodied up meat trays and grinder parts for my wife to wash after I finished butchering.   Washing dishes and vacuum sealing is usually the extent of her contribution to the butchering process.

Her dad gave me the Buck 110, a few weeks after I "lost" it, so I did not try real hard to find it.  I am glad I located it now, just in time to get it cleaned up and sharpened in time for crossbow hunting at home and at my folks place next weekend.  The Buck 110 will be my "Northern Zone" only knife from now on.   Using it over the last 6 seasons has made me long for that easier-handling, better edge-holding Sharpfinger.        

wolc, you should post before and after pics of the cleaned up Sharpfinger.

1 hour ago, goosifer said:

wolc, you should post before and after pics of the cleaned up Sharpfinger.

Like to, cant.   I finished wire wheeling it shortly after it started raining this afternoon.  It cleaned up pretty good.  Then I spent about 10 minutes  getting it razor sharp with a stone.  It should be good for the season now.   I am really looking forward to trying it out next Saturday.  Hopefully the deer cooperate.  Some colder weather would be great.