Someone made a bad shot...

NonTypical

LEG... I take it that that broad head never entered the body cavity? Just slid between shoulder and ribs?   Why I do not like quartering away shots...Just at the release a deer I shot turned away and I watched the arrow slide right in behind the shoulder...but It never actually entered the body and came out along the brisket.. wounded but not dead and no recovery. Had another quartering away..he turned at shot and the arrow was sticking out over his butt flat along his spine... I about freaked, watched him slowly walk away a big 7pt...waited then tracked him a hundred yrds and he just tipped over. The broad head ran right along the length of his spine and nicked the artery...

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

At first i thought it sure was an arrow. Though its possible no doubt but i agree with others, the more i stare, it looks like a streak from a bug flying or something. I've gotten them pictures before as well. 

Attached is a pic I got from last year.. The damage a broad head causes should definitely show.. Neighbor took him the next day. Buck was shot with Xbow from a basically steep straight on and shot down

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

So I have to ask. How do you know it was a crossbow?

48 minutes ago, growalot said:

LEG... I take it that that broad head never entered the body cavity? Just slid between shoulder and ribs?   Why I do not like quartering away shots...Just at the release a deer I shot turned away and I watched the arrow slide right in behind the shoulder...but It never actually entered the body and came out along the brisket.. wounded but not dead and no recovery. Had another quartering away..he turned at shot and the arrow was sticking out over his butt flat along his spine... I about freaked, watched him slowly walk away a big 7pt...waited then tracked him a hundred yrds and he just tipped over. The broad head ran right along the length of his spine and nicked the artery...

Nothing wrong with quartering away, you just have to adjust your shot back to the middle or end of the rib cage. The ol "right behind the shoulder" shot placement doesnt apply to quartering shots. The easy shot placement trick for quartering away is to aim for the opposite front leg and forget about the entry point. The deer I took yesterday was quartering away at 15 yards, pretty much a 45 degree angle, so I put the pin on the opposite front leg where I figured it would exit in the lower 1/3rd of the body. Arrow went in about 2/3rds of the way from the end of the rib cage on its left side and exited the armpit of the right front leg. The broadhead caught liver, both lungs and nearly took the top of its heart right off. Dead in seconds.

Im not a huge fan of quartering to at a downward angle like those pics showed.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NonTypical said:

It's hard to tell, but I think this may be the same buck. He doesn't look as big in the first photo, but I think it may be the angle and the distance. His brow tines look similar with the right one being longer. image.thumb.png.fe9da95890d4fb0897030caf6b68562d.png

Not the same, the buck pictured here has the same length g2 and g3 the buck pictured above does not.

On 11/2/2017 at 11:41 AM, growalot said:

The shot was actually straight on basically and close in range from an elevated tree stand. Entrance hole up in neck, Exit same side behind front shoulder.. I didnt get to see exactly what was hit from the Bolt/BH, but i would think it caught some chest cavity and was living on 1 good lung. He was all green on the inside..