Kid looking to help some farmers out with geese and coyotes

WaterfowlNoob

1 hour ago, WaterfowlNoob said:

Hey guys im looling for some help getting in contact with some farmers around putnam and dutchess county i would like to help out the farmers by taken out some geese,woodchucks,coyotes if anyone has some info to help me out that would be awesome

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just start knocking on doors. Sometimes you will hear yes. Most times you’ll hear no..

Good luck

• Like 1

People might be more likely to say yes to a young person like yourself and you might just find some places to hunt for many years.  Dont be afraid to ask the worst they will say is no and sometimes people might surprise you that you thought would turn you down.  Good luck. And check with your local farms first. They are most likely to say yes to a local.  

People might be more likely to say yes to a young person like yourself and you might just find some places to hunt for many years.  Dont be afraid to ask the worst they will say is no and sometimes people might surprise you that you thought would turn you down.  Good luck. And check with your local farms first. They are most likely to say yes to a local.  
Thanks for the tip

as others have said you have to knock on doors.  a few tips when doing that,

plan your visits at non intrusive times,  ie, don't show up and interrupt breakfast, lunch, supper.

Dress decently and be polite, first impressions go a LONG ways, ALWAYS say thank you even if the answer is a no. You will hear no a lot of times.

IF you gain permission you need to ask some questions.

-where can I park?

-any places on the property you don't want me shooting?

-any days of the week you don't want me shooting?

-if they have livestock ask about discharging a gun by them and off limit areas and times (especially with regards to milk cows)

-leave the property as you found it, clean up your empties, take your litter with you and don't be afraid to pick up extra you find.

-Only hunt for what you were given permission to hunt, I am in the heart of apple country here and I can tell you that shooting a coyote or fox on an apple farm is a pretty quick revocation of permission if they find out.

-When there hunting conduct yourself as a respectful hunter, you not only represent yourself you also represent the rest of the hunting fraternity.

-don't be afraid to offer to help with farm work.

and most importantly

-DO NOT show up there with a bunch of guys without checking with the landowner, YOU were given permission not you and 5 buddies, with dogs and lots of shells to shoot.  even IF the landowner says it is OK be VERY careful who you take, people do funny things and your "buddy" may go behind your back and seek permission from the landowner or just go there sometime without you.   YOU are the one that worked for the permission, once granted cherish it and work to keep it because they are tough to come by.

• Like 1

as others have said you have to knock on doors.  a few tips when doing that,
plan your visits at non intrusive times,  ie, don't show up and interrupt breakfast, lunch, supper.
Dress decently and be polite, first impressions go a LONG ways, ALWAYS say thank you even if the answer is a no. You will hear no a lot of times.
IF you gain permission you need to ask some questions.
-where can I park?
-any places on the property you don't want me shooting?
-any days of the week you don't want me shooting?
-if they have livestock ask about discharging a gun by them and off limit areas and times (especially with regards to milk cows)
-leave the property as you found it, clean up your empties, take your litter with you and don't be afraid to pick up extra you find.
-Only hunt for what you were given permission to hunt, I am in the heart of apple country here and I can tell you that shooting a coyote or fox on an apple farm is a pretty quick revocation of permission if they find out.
-When there hunting conduct yourself as a respectful hunter, you not only represent yourself you also represent the rest of the hunting fraternity.
-don't be afraid to offer to help with farm work.

and most importantly
-DO NOT show up there with a bunch of guys without checking with the landowner, YOU were given permission not you and 5 buddies, with dogs and lots of shells to shoot.  even IF the landowner says it is OK be VERY careful who you take, people do funny things and your "buddy" may go behind your back and seek permission from the landowner or just go there sometime without you.   YOU are the one that worked for the permission, once granted cherish it and work to keep it because they are tough to come by.

Thanks for the tips man!

Yep I knock on tons of doors and always ask when I want to, first off don't be nervous to ask, if they're a dick and say get lost just leave don't argue. You may have more success than you'd think if your asking for goose permission. If they are uneasy about allowing permission ask (without pushing) if they would mind just a one day hunt of it to get you in the door. When they see you are responsible alot will allow permission whenever you want to hunt it. Everything that has been said is also solid advice good luck. 

• Like 1

Yep I knock on tons of doors and always ask when I want to, first off don't be nervous to ask, if they're a dick and say get lost just leave don't argue. You may have more success than you'd think if your asking for goose permission. If they are uneasy about allowing permission ask (without pushing) if they would mind just a one day hunt of it to get you in the door. When they see you are responsible alot will allow permission whenever you want to hunt it. Everything that has been said is also solid advice good luck. 
Thank you

They would probably also be more likely to say yes if someone his age also volunteered to do some work around the farm

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, TACC said:

They would probably also be more likely to say yes if someone his age also volunteered to do some work around the farm

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

I was going to say the same thing.  Ask to help cutwood, put fence up, simply posting their property. They may ask for a lot or a little work just remember they had to work hard to own those properties your asking to get on, but you may end up with a place to hunt for life and meet some long lasting friends.

I was going to say the same thing.  Ask to help cutwood, put fence up, simply posting their property. They may ask for a lot or a little work just remember they had to work hard to own those properties your asking to get on, but you may end up with a place to hunt for life and meet some long lasting friends.
Yea thats worked previously in the past for me unfortunately the property didnt live up to expectations