Same old issues..ar's or not

G-Man

15 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

And this post shows why Ny will always be at the bottom of the list of hunting states. Guess you must be to young to remember the paper days where we had to mail half of the tag back to the state. The check stations can be as simple as a local archery store, corner market or gas station. Look up Michigan and see how simple it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do remember mailing in my paper tag. I am not old yet though. I started hunting deer in early 90s. when you still had to be 16. I learned to hunt by going coon hunting with my father alot younger than that, about 8 years old. At 10 I went with father on sits on thanksgiving,  mom on opening day, and at 14 hunted small game with my dad including squirrels,  grouse, running rabbits and Turkey hunting. I was taught if your gonna kill it use it. I do not turkey hunt anymore cause i think wild turkey is terrible no mater how you cook it. I remember the neighborhood gathering at the community hall next to my house to hunt and drive deer opening day and going over and hanging out with them as a kid. My father always went and did his own thing on his own. I am greatful to have grown up in a time when people could do and hunt as they wanted and not get criticized as they do today.  Everyone enjoyed hunting and did it for more than big racks. As far as tradirion, what i remember, what would antler restrictions in ny have to do with that?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

And this post shows why Ny will always be at the bottom of the list of hunting states. Guess you must be to young to remember the paper days where we had to mail half of the tag back to the state. The check stations can be as simple as a local archery store, corner market or gas station. Look up Michigan and see how simple it is.

What do you mean by that exactly, because if I am not mistaken they sell the most hunting licences of any other state .  

Exactly how would mailing tags in be better than the phone in reporting we have today?  Not everyone would mail in tags just like many don't report by phone these days.  It would boil down to the same $#!+.  And no way is NYS going to start check in stations.  Not feasible in so many ways.  I highly doubt there are too many gas stations or small markets in NYS who want bloody deer carcasses rolling in from October- December freaking out a good many of their customers.  Simply won't happen!  The majority of states out there DON'T have check in stations so I see NO good reason for NYS to start them either.

What do you mean by that exactly, because if I am not mistaken they sell the most hunting licences of any other state .  

Look at that states rules for getting both buck and antlerless tags. And look at what they have to do after they harvest a deer. Many places would love to have check stations at their places during hunting seasons. The guys in the city would have to go somewhere on the outskirts but really the city should be separate from the state Many states know how many deer they have and how many are harvested instead of NY's way of just guessing what we have. And they don't have a clue what we really have on many parts of the state

9 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Look at that states rules for getting both buck and antlerless tags. And look at what they have to do after they harvest a deer. Many places would love to have check stations at their places during hunting seasons. The guys in the city would have to go somewhere on the outskirts but really the city should be separate from the state Many states know how many deer they have and how many are harvested instead of NY's way of just guessing what we have. And they don't have a clue what we really have on many parts of the state

A lot of those big bucks you see from other states in magazines are coming off huge farms with limited access and high fence areas and the rest it is because they have no population there . 

Has nothing to do with enforcement of anything 

A lot of those big bucks you see from other states in magazines are coming off huge farms with limited access and high fence areas and the rest it is because they have no population there . 
Has nothing to do with enforcement of anything 

What the hell are you talking about! Who cares about huge farms and high fence deer do not even get reported to the states. Facts are that Ny is si far behind all other whitetail states and it shows.

3 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

What the hell are you talking about! Who cares about huge farms and high fence deer do not even get reported to the states. Facts are that Ny is si far behind all other whitetail states and it shows.

They kill everything that moves down south and out west it is just they have huge tracts of land and not that many people to hunt it like NY state. 

Has nothing to do with anything else .

Hunting laws basically just barely work because of the honor System  . If someone wants to cheet they cheet and no law or tag system you can come up with will stop them .

Less people per square mile more animals to hunt . That's all it comes down to .

That is why you get bigger older deer in other parts of the country. 

They kill everything that moves down south and out west it is just they have huge tracts of land and not that many people to hunt it like NY state. 
Has nothing to do with anything else .
Hunting laws basically just barely work because of the honor System  . If someone wants to cheet they cheet and no law or tag system you can come up with will stop them .
Less people per square mile more animals to hunt . That's all it comes down to .
That is why you get bigger older deer in other parts of the country. 

They don't work because of the honor system. That's why you need to force people. If Ny had a mandatory check in stations and returning unused tags our state would be in a whole different place when it comes to whitetails. Add in shorter seasons and 1 buck a year per hunter and we would have a top hunting state instead of being the worst hunting state on record. That is a fact. Don't really care what they do in the east or south or Africa really. I am talking Ny state where 50% of hunters out there fill their whole families deer tags.

2 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

They don't work because of the honor system. That's why you need to force people. If Ny had a mandatory check in stations and returning unused tags our state would be in a whole different place when it comes to whitetails. Add in shorter seasons and 1 buck a year per hunter and we would have a top hunting state instead of being the worst hunting state on record. That is a fact. Don't really care what they do in the east or south or Africa really. I am talking Ny state where 50% of hunters out there fill their whole families deer tags.

Bet if you take a poll most hunters would not want more red tape and aggravation like what your proposing . Sorry to tell you . 

• Like 2

Btw if you live in a area that is all private land and you notice a big drop in deer in that area for some reason let the DEC know and they will investigate what the story is in your neck of the woods . It is that simple know need to change anything. 

Riiiiight! Let me guess. You must be what early 20's in age?

I feel for ya then if you believe your last statement is anywhere near being possible with Ny state DEC and their deer management practices. Do you know how they come up with our annual deer number count per year?? This conversation could go on forever but that facts still remain that we are the worst state in the country for deer hunting and there is many reasons for that.

7 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Riiiiight! Let me guess. You must be what early 20's in age?

Some guys go buy land  just to hunt thinking that just because they got private land there going to always get a big buck .

Does not always work out that way 

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

I feel for ya then if you believe your last statement is anywhere near being possible with Ny state DEC and their deer management practices. Do you know how they come up with our annual deer number count per year?? This conversation could go on forever but that facts still remain that we are the worst state in the country for deer hunting and there is many reasons for that.

They do it by air , droppings  and tags  it says in there  annual report then us a formula  to figure out what they are going to do next year 

Some guys go buy land  just to hunt thinking that just because they got private land there going to always get a big buck .
Does not always work out that way 

It does for many of us that have 500-1000 acres of land because it is managed by us because we really know what is in the area and on the property. Many have given up on the Ny DEC many years ago and harvest deer on their terms. Not DEC's and their properties are some pretty awesome hunting properties. If DEC and the state did more to know and improve the state they would know more of what's going on. There are so many out there that have not reported a deer harvest in years so I know for a fact that they have no real idea on deer numbers.

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

It does for many of us that have 500-1000 acres of land because it is managed by us because we really know what is in the area and on the property. Many have given up on the Ny DEC many years ago and harvest deer on their terms. Not DEC's and their properties are some pretty awesome hunting properties. If DEC and the state did more to know and improve the state they would know more of what's going on. There are so many out there that have not reported a deer harvest in years so I know for a fact that they have no real idea on deer numbers.

Yea That is why hunters  buy or lease a lot of land. But  to lot of other  people deer are  nuisance they want less of them around anyway just to  let you know.  Not everyone wants a huge deer herd . Especially if you're a farmer that actually wants to farm. And you get environmental groups and anti-hunting groups that don't like it when DEC try to make the herd larger just for hunting 

Edited by Storm914

1 minute ago, Storm914 said:

That is why people buy or lease a lot of land. To a lot of people deer are  nuisance they want less of them around anyway just to  let you know.  Not everyone wants a huge deer herd . Especially if you're a farmer that actually wants to farm.

So you are saying that hunters buy and lease land so they can kill every deer on it?  Really?  How long have you been a hunter in ny state?  A lot of things you say and the way you say them points to someone that has not been around for a long time and knows what used to be in this state and what is today.

The ones that dont like deer are sure not spending money to rid the landscape of them and most farmers now a days love the checks the real hunters are cutting them as they try and scratch out any good hunting that may be left in the state. 

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

So you are saying that hunters buy and lease land so they can kill every deer on it?  Really?  How long have you been a hunter in ny state?  A lot of things you say and the way you say them points to someone that has not been around for a long time and knows what used to be in this state and what is today.

The ones that dont like deer are sure not spending money to rid the landscape of them and most farmers now a days love the checks the real hunters are cutting them as they try and scratch out any good hunting that may be left in the state. 

no we are speaking over each other I meant to say that some guys buy a lot of land and try to manage it to hunt to have more deer on it.

But there  are farmers that actually don't want the deer there and get  nuisance permits to shoot them all year round. I used to hunt on an Apple farm that did that..  You are looking at just the hunter standpoint but there are other people environmentalist, Farmers that see it differently they see too many deer around they want less of them around not everybody wants to just hunt.

DEC is not supposed to  take sides .

Edited by Storm914

Why all this talk of 1 buck rule..only Ohio and Kentucky (looking at bug buck states allow 1 buck.. all the others are 1 buck in bow one in gun.. they have big bucks in iowa.amd Wisconsin.. both allow 1 in now and gun. Missouri one each.. seems everyone compares to ohio.. and the residents there don't like it very much.. go to one buck and everyone's wives and kids will be getting tags.. 

Mandatory deer checks in all the other states..oh they have right to hunt and fish and game.departments as well... not an environmental department that hunting is a secondary focus of...

• Like 1

On 12/18/2017 at 7:35 PM, coonhunter said:

What I am curious about is what do the hunters that are pushing for all the restrictions think is going to happen when the number of hunters continues to drop and the deer population continues to grow because we no longer have enough hunters shooting does to put a dent in it?

They won't do anything because that is exactly how they want it... their thought process has little to do with caring about the deer herd and everything to do with hanging trophy heads on the wall and getting in the record books. Less hunters means less competition from other hunters and more big bucks for them. They probably won't even plant food plots any more because they won't need to... there will be no need to attract and hold bucks on just their property and away from other hunters. They will however still use trail cams so they can name each buck and create a "hit list" of which bucks will take priority over other bucks for the next place on the wall.

• Like 4