What do you do with the flank meat?

goosifer

16 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

you mean the false backstrap. Texture and tenderness on par with the backstrap. 

I think you're talking about in beef terms what's called the tritip.  I believe it's where the strap technically extends between muscles into the hind quarter. about 5" or so long.  what i'm talking about is parallel and next to the upper rear leg bone. most cut it away with the whole rump roast but it's actually a separate muscle if you look.  similar in shape to a backstrap.  I rarely keep things together even in roasts, always separating muscles.  probably more than necessary but I guess I have my way of doing things.

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

i call it the "hidden tenderloin"

I think grow has posted a video before from growing deer TV that used that term.  I wouldn't compare it to tenderloin but I think we're talking the same thing.  point is I've found if it's a different muscle that can be separated it might not be the same texture, tenderness, or flavor as the one next to it. i'm not a butcher, despite my dad did have a store when I was very young, so I don't know the technical terms.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

I think you're talking about in beef terms what's called the tritip.  I believe it's where the strap technically extends between muscles into the hind quarter. about 5" or so long.  what i'm talking about is parallel and next to the upper rear leg bone. most cut it away with the whole rump roast but it's actually a separate muscle if you look.  similar in shape to a backstrap.  I rarely keep things together even in roasts, always separating muscles.  probably more than necessary but I guess I have my way of doing things.

we separate them down to their smallest muscle group as well.  Usually yields  pieces that are pretty good for 2 person consumption.

• Like 1

I saved one of the racks of ribs from my buck this year to give them a try. Saw a good sounding recipe on Steve Rinellas site. Ive been told by more than one person that they are worth a try. Honestly I think cutting them off and trimming them out accounted for an extra 5-10 mins of time.

The ribs are actually pretty good. I've eaten them before and would do it again, but I would need to have a big enough deer to do it. There isn't much meat on em so if the deer isn't big enough, I feel it's not worth the trouble. I think you'll enjoy it.

As for me I don't keep the flank steak. I salvage almost every part of meat of a deer except the flank and usually don't keep the ribs anymore.

I highly suggest you guys keep the calves though. I personally would rate them on par with the most prime cuts of the deer when slow cooked for 2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I butchered and trimmed flank meat from two deer this week, one from a deer that I kept and one from a deer that I gave to a hunting buddy but he didn't want the flank meat. The flank meat that I was able to trim well went into the grind pile. I also had about five pounds of flank meat that I wasn't able to trim as well that I set aside. In the new year, I will experiment with a couple different recipe ideas I have for this flank meat. I am hopeful that the flank meat can be worth saving without having to trim off 100% of the membrane. 

Will do, Otto. I had planned on doing this and some other recipes. Won't be till after the holidays, though. For the osso bucco, you will need a large non-reactive cooking vessel like enamel on steel (Le Creuset, for example) or stainless steel. I wouldn't trust aluminum or cast iron given the long cooking time in acidic liquid. Another recipe on my hit list is cured pepperoni using UMAi Dry bags.

Had some shanks cut for OB this yr as did my buddy. He’s had two attempts to which he said both turned out dry. Any tricks beyond a good seer and low&slow covered?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had some shanks cut for OB this yr as did my buddy. He’s had two attempts to which he said both turned out dry. Any tricks beyond a good seer and low&slow covered?

I don't know how he does it but my buddy takes everyone's shanks and has us over for Shanksgiving In January, they are amazing!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gjs4 said:

Offhand, i would say basic braising technique: cover the meat at least half way with an acidic liquid (tomato, wine, or citrus based), cook covered in oven at a low temp for several hours, turning meat occasionally. An acidic marinate pre-cooking, like citrus marinade for fajitas, would also be a way to soften them up. I would try skipping the searing, as well.

16 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I don't know how he does it but my buddy takes everyone's shanks and has us over for Shanksgiving In January, they are amazing!

Love the name, Shanksgiving. Maybe designate the Sunday after the Superbowl as Shanksgiving. TCIII, ask you buddy if he will share his recipe.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2017 at 11:56 AM, dbHunterNY said:

I think grow has posted a video before from growing deer TV that used that term.  I wouldn't compare it to tenderloin but I think we're talking the same thing.  point is I've found if it's a different muscle that can be separated it might not be the same texture, tenderness, or flavor as the one next to it. i'm not a butcher, despite my dad did have a store when I was very young, so I don't know the technical terms.

i've posted it a few times. right around 3 minute mark

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2017 at 1:54 PM, gjs4 said:

gjs4, one other idea I forgot to mention before would be to brine the shanks for 24 hours prior to processing. This article talks about 2 TBL of salt per gallon of water (plus seasonings of your choice). I wasn't 100% satisfied with my osso buco efforts this weekend (link to recipe ) and will try this next time.

Have you had a chance to look through Buck, Buck, Moose yet? Would you recommend it?

I follow this recipe for osso bucco.

https://www.thespruce.com/venison-osso-buco-2313773

The only difference for me is that is remove all the bone (and made a separate venison stock) and just cut each shank in two or three chunks....made over 15 pounds of this this year and all who tried it(even non-venison eaters) loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk